Is there a way to associate components with Issue types?

Prateek Kumar March 27, 2013

I want to populate the components field based on Issue type chosen. Is there a way to do that?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2013

Not really. Components belong to projects.

You could try to wedge in a spot of javascript to remove components from the selection lists based on the issue type, but you'd still need the full list at the project level.

Neeta Dubey November 10, 2013

I have added certain components in a project. How can i make use of those components in my project?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2013

Components are offered as a field on issues during create and edit, so you just select the ones you want on an issue.

If you're missing the field, check screens and field configurations.

Michelle Vincent September 7, 2018

Has this changed at all in the last 5 years? We would like to be able to do this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2018

Nope, components remain project-level items.

Jamesson April 26, 2019

But in a given project, can you make an issue have a default component upon creation?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2019

If you want to default it on-screen, you can use things like the Behaviours module in Scriptrunnner.  If you want to set it without asking the user, you can use a post-function in the workflow to set one.

Jamesson April 29, 2019

I want to set it without asking the user.

Basically, I'm using JIRA as our internal work request system in a company where our department is one of the only ones that uses JIRA. I've set up a project whose entire purpose is to route new requests to the different people for approvals.

When a new request comes in, it needs to get automatically assigned to different people as it goes through the approvals process. Because there are different departments that might request work of us, I have to have a separate workflow, and thus, separate issue types, for each department because the list of roles to which issues can be automatically assigned by workflow is quite small. If I could automatically set component by issue type, I could at least cut down the number of workflows from one per department to one, period.

I'm well aware that there may be a better way to set this up; if you can think of one, please let me know.

Also, for the sake of simplicity, assume that my organization will not allow any add-ons. The truth is that they are allowed, but would take so long to be chosen, paid for, and installed, they may as well be considered to be.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2019

>assume that my organization will not allow any add-ons

You can't do it then.  You need an add-on to provide the code, or a place to put the code for the post-function you need to use in the workflow.

Jamesson April 29, 2019

Gotcha.

When you say "a place to put the code", to what does/can that refer, specifically? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2019

I usually reach for Scriptrunner, because I know it quite well and have the experts who wrote it on tap

Suggest an answer