Is there a way to associate a build number with bamboo builds?

AmitB August 11, 2012

I would like to associate a real version number with each build triggered by bamboo (i.e. 1.0.92673), such that this version # can be accessible from Jira. Is this possible?

6 answers

0 votes
AmitB August 14, 2012

OK, so it looks like I will have to incorporate the Bamboo build number into our version number so that we can track it in Jira. Thanks.

0 votes
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

note to self: http://bitbucket.org/atlassian/bamboo/annotate/default/components/bamboo-web-app/src/main/webapp/fragments/plan/displayWideBuildPlansList.ftl#line-167 (please ignore)

AmitB,

I don't think it is possible. The part of code that displays that #buildNumber in JIRA is hard-coded in Bamboo and I don't see any relevant plugin points that would allow extending the displaying. So I think the only way would be to hack the Bamboo sources and write custom logic that would output something different than #buildNumber on JIRA 'build' tab.

Can I help you further somehow?

0 votes
AmitB August 13, 2012

Yes, exactly. Is it possible?

0 votes
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

Hm... Do I undestand correctly that you would like to the numbers like 3.0.91246 on the JIRA builds tab? Like in the screenshot below, instead of the marked #numbers you would like to see 3.0.91246?

0 votes
AmitB August 13, 2012

Currently, when I make a build from bamboo I only see a single number (i.e. #98), whereas I would like to see the actually build number (i.e. 3.0.91246). This way, on the jira side we can associate bugs with real version numbers rather than the internal bamboo build number.

0 votes
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2012

Hi AmitB,

Could you please expand description of your use-case? I'm having trouble understanding what do you need - having more verbose context could make me recalling some tricks you could use...

regards

Suggest an answer