Is there a way to allow admins (not site-admins) to manage groups in Jira Cloud?

ddesjard-sra December 14, 2016

I am managing a JIRA Cloud instance and we have 2 site-admins, but a bunch of admins (project level).  Is there a way then can manage their own groups (adding, removing users)?

3 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2016

Project admins can only manage the user roles in the project. They cannot add/remove users to/from groups. There are some open feature request for this with Atlassian.

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2016

@Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group] and @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] have given good answers but there is an even more fundamental reason why site-admins can perform group manipulations and regular admins cannot and it follows a simple rule:

Only 'site-admins' should be able to perform actions that will affect how much you pay.

If regular admins could make group manipulations then this would break the rule. They could put users that did not have access to an Atlassian Product into a group that gave them access which could result in a tier bump and more money being paid per month. Thus, if you put somebody in the 'site-admins' group then you are effectively saying: I am giving this person the power to make changes that will affect our bill. It is for this reason that only site-admins can install paid add-ons while regular admins can only install free add-ons.

It is possible that, eventually, Atlassian may make it so that regular admins can make group-user modifications that don't affect the bill (and error out on the other actions). But this work has not been done and will not likely happen soon.

ddesjard-sra December 15, 2016

This is already broken, as admins can create users via the import tool (usually by mistake).  I know because I'm always cleaning up after them.  What I want (and I understand I won't get) is the ability for an admin to add/remove an existing users from their project

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2016

Minimise the use of groups, and please, please, please, use ROLES.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2016

No, you need site admins to do group maintenance.  I don't think that's going to change, as it's the basic principle that groups are organisational objects that may well have wider implications.

But, the main point of the "roles" functionality is to delegate user access to the project administrators.  Project admins can select who is in their project by maintaining who is in what role.

Suggest an answer