Is there a way to add a prefix to the comment being emailed from Jira

Deleted user November 28, 2018

Hi there,

We are using a cloud hosted instance of Jira and I was wondering if there was a way to add a prefix to the comments, something like [JIRA].  I use the email monitor in Cherwell to capture the various emails from Jira which works fine, but the body of an email in Jira is the whole thing...  

"

kareemy commented on CHER-60

Re: AL0111691: Monitor Callibration

This is a comment

Add Comment

Get Jira notifications on your phone! Download the Jira Cloud app for Android or iOS
This message was sent by Atlassian Jira (v1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT#100095-sha1:360a7f4)"

If I could have a prefix in from of the comment, I could parse the email out to retrieve only the string beginning with [JIRA] as an example.

So I would end up with;

[JIRA] This is a comment

I have seen some plugins that can allow this but there is no budget for us to purchase anything for this.

Hoping there is an in Jira solution for this one.

Thanks kindly,

S.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2018

No, you will need an App to do this.  Jira already does that sort of tagging in the email subject, so there's absolutely no need to put redundant information into the body of the email as well, as it's already there.

To needlessly duplicate information already there, you're going to need code in Jira, which means an App.  Or code in Cherwell to read the email properly.

Deleted user November 29, 2018

Thanks for the reply, but I already strip out everything I can.  What I put in the question was what Jira considers the BODY of the email.  As you can see there is nothing to identify the actual comment different from the footer or the re or the name of the person.  

If the comment was prefixed something then I could pull out that exactly piece of information.  I also tried to parse the body as HTML hoping there may be something different at the start of the comment line, there isn't.

In this case it is the exact opposite of redundant information due to Jira dumping all of that information into the BODY of the email.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2018

So why don't you read the summary?  Why are you stripping out the data you actually want to work with?

What summary?  The only piece of information I need from the email is the comment.  I strip out the Cherwell issuekey from the subject line and use that to cross check the incident in Cherwell with the Jira issuekey, but what I want to do is just put the comment line only as a Journal entry back in Cherwell.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2018

The summary that is the subject of the email.  By default, this will be a Jira prefix, the issue key and the summary - i.e. the information you're asking for.  It sounds like you have removed it pointlessly, as you can actually use it.

Parsing the default summary is a far better option that adding totally redundant information to a comment body.

This is the subject of the email.

[JIRA] (CHER-60) AL0111691: Monitor Callibration

I use the JIRA prefix to identify the email source, I parse the AL### out to a temp variable to match against a Cherwell number.

This is the body of the email

kareemy commented on CHER-60

Re: AL0111691: Monitor Callibration

This is a comment

Add Comment

Get Jira notifications on your phone! Download the Jira Cloud app for Android or iOS
This message was sent by Atlassian Jira (v1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT#100095-sha1:360a7f4)

The comment placed in JIRA is going to be in the Journal entry for Cherwell for the customer to see.  Our end users do not use JIRA, only the techs do so all their back and forth happens via JIRA.

What I need from the body of the JIRA email is;

This is a comment

to go as a Journal entry in Cherwell.. just the comment.  I use the subject / summary information exactly as I need to.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2018

Ah, so most of the information you need is still in the subject, but you've removed the "issue commented".  Why don't you put that back?

As I've said, it looks a bit silly to have:

• <someone> commented at
  • This is a comment
  • Some information

in Jira, when you could parse it out of the subject (if you hadn't removed it) instead.

You will need quite a bit of automation to hack the pointless "this is a comment" into comments, and you'll need quite a bit more to rewrite Jira's mail system to botch it in there.  It would be a lot easier to just put it back in the subject, where it makes the most sense, and requires no coding.

Maybe I am confusing things with the way I am explaining it... but nothing is being parsed from Jira.. when it hits Cherwell I pull it apart to get the information I need from the subject.  I need the comment from Jira to be added to the cherwell ticket as a comment, it isn't pointless, it is the crucial information I need.  Cherwell is the only mechanism the end user is going to have to see when a tech has updated the jira incident with a comment.

I can't upload any screenshots to this post to show you what I mean (Disney / MPAA rules for image uploading).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2018

I think you're missing my point.  The subject of the email contains everything you say you need (apart from the body of the comment). 

For some reason, you have chosen to remove the "this is a comment" part of that subject. 

Your best option is to put that back, and look at it in Cherwell, like you are for [Jira] and the issue key.  Not pointlessly repeat it in the body of the comment.

Can you message me your email and I will forward you what I see.  Maybe we are looking at different emails being sent from JIRA, as the way you describe it is not what I see from JIRA

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events