Is there a way to add a button to an Issue to update a custom field?

Coleen Astalos November 24, 2020

I would like to add a "Reviewed" button to the view issue screen so that my CM person who runs the Review Board can click a single button to indicate a particular issue has been reviewed.  The resulting action when the button is clicked is that a custom date field is updated with the current date.  

This is to simplify the multi-click process of having to:

• select the custom date field to edit 
  • select the date picker
  • select the current date
  • select the checkbox to save the entry.

The goal is to reduce the clicks necessary during the meeting from 4 clicks down to 1 clicks.  Ideally this button would be visible/usable only to users in a specific group.   But that is not as important as reducing the clicks needed during the meeting. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

@Coleen Astalos, can you please provide a bit of additional information? How does the current review process work? When performing these reviews, are the tickets staying in the same status?

Do you have any add ons installed in your system/are you willing to purchase on? I know of 2 which could reduce the number of clicks from 4 -> 2.

Thanks!

Kian

Coleen Astalos November 25, 2020

Kian,

The issues are displayed one by one in JIRA - from a query in the dashboard.

The issue remains in the same status - the only change is the custom "reviewed" date field.

Probably would not be able to get approval for a purchased add/on (but willing to look at)

Coleen

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2020

Coleen,

Have you looked into using the bulk edit functionality?  That might be one possibility to reduce the overall amount of clicking which must be done.

If that doesn't work for you, I'd recommend taking a look at Automation for Jira. You can set up automation rules to perform actions for you on when you click a button. I whipped up a rule quickly which triggers when you tell it to, can be restricted to specific groups, and reduces your clicks to 2 from 4. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 11.03.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 11.04.00 AM.png

Thanks.  

Yes, aware of the Bulk Edit - but that's really and after the fact type of change.

I will look into the automation, that will likely be sufficient.

I've set up the automation, but how do you get it to show up in the "More" dropdown?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2020

Coleen,

You need to set it up with a manual trigger, and make sure that you are in the group which it has been restricted to.

Thanks,

Kian

Suggest an answer