Is there a way to Automate "MOVING" an issue ticket?

Alexander Wildes Jr April 11, 2023

Hello everyone,

I am reaching out to see if there is a way to automate Moving an issue ticket such that the ticket maintains the same KEY but has a different issue type all within the same project.   I know I can automate the cloning of an issue into a different issue type, however this will create a new issue ticket with a different Key.   I would also like to update the status field to a particular status within the workflow of the destination issue type (the workflows are different).     Or if there are suggestions of how to re-engineer my ultimate goal:

issue ticket with Issue type 1 collects data ...during its final status of its  workflow provide the option to move issue ticket to issue type 2 maintaining the KEY and updating the issue to a status within the workflow associated with issue type 2 .. all within the same project.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Always
Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

No, Automation does not have a "move" function.  This is because changing the project and/or issue type is a structural thing - all the config hangs off them, and most moves changing the config.  They're not really moves, they're migrations, and they tend to need humans involved.

The exception is when two issue types are identically configured to use the same workflow and fields - in that case you can simply "edit" the issue type.

Alexander Wildes Jr April 15, 2023

Thank you Nic!  I have decided to go the route of Cloning.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events