Is there a way that I can run a filter that will return a list of projects with each subtask for that project underneath?

Shawn Thiel April 6, 2015

Currently when I run a filter I get a list of projects.  I know I can sort and order by various different fields.  What I want to see on the screen is a list showing the parent project first, then any subtasks under that parent project listing if there are any.  Then the next parent project with subtasks under it and so on.

I have issues grouping our subtasks with the parent.  As everyone knows, when you create the subtask it uses the next number sequence and does not associate that subtask to the parent number.  example - parent ticket PROJ-89 with subtasks tickets of PROJ-124, PROJ-138, PROJ-139.

It would be nice if it would truncate the parent number for the subtask - example - parent ticket PROJ-89 with subtasks tickets of PROJ-89.1, PROJ-89.2, PROJ-89.3

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2015

I think there's a bit of confusion here.  JIRA's structure is not project -> subtask, it is project -> issue -> subtask, so talking about "parent project" doesn't make much sense.  A subtask will have a parent issue which holds the subtasks, and is very associated with the subtask (because if you accidentally break the link, you find JIRA does some very "interesting" things which has you reaching for a backup tape)

The short answer to the question though is "no".  Atlassian have no (immediate) plans to rewrite JIRA in a way that would support a new way of creating the keys - it's going to stay <project shortcode>-<sequence in project> for quite a while.

There are a few requests for this sort of structural change in their issue tracker, but I'm afraid I do not have any of them bookmarked.  They were all "closed - won't fix/duplicate" or tagged with "not going to do this in the foreseeable future" last time it came up though.

Shawn Thiel April 7, 2015

OK - so I have a project setup "New Initiatives".  Under that project I create issues, so be it these issues are initiative projects for us (you can call them issues).  Under them, I create sub tasks that need to be completed for that initiative.  

I am looking for a way to filter and display the initiative and all associated sub tasks with that initiative, for all issues under the "New Initiatives" project.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2015

Not easily. There's no grouping of issues like that available in the issue navigator. I've seen (and coded) simple workarounds, such as derived fields which always contain the parent issue (or parent/summary), so sorting by that first automatically works. But there's nothing simple built-in.

Suggest an answer