Is there a way i can limit someones visibility to only see issues assigned to them?

Amanda Joyal February 12, 2015

I have a project in JIRA and i have it assigned to a group of people but i only want them to be able to see items that they reported and that are assigned to them. How can I do this?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2015

The standard answer to this is to do what Atlassian do in their support system.  Enable the "reporter browse" permission and use it in your permission scheme.  

This permission is there because you can't use "reporter" -  if you set Browse = reporter, JIRA reads it as "anyone who can create an issue in this project can see the issues", not "only the person who reported it".  The reporter browse permission handles "only the reporter", but you have to jump through some hoops to use it because if it's not used correctly, you can cause problems (I won't bore you, but if you do use it, the rule is "only use it for browse" and you'll be fine)

This also has the advantage that you do not need to remember to set the security level every time, it's completely automatic.

Amanda Joyal March 2, 2015

I have taken a look at the security issue scheme and this seems like it is not simple to know if it working or not. Is there something we can do on a project by project basis where you have instructions on how to set it so users can only see issues that they are assigned or they are set as watchers by the issue creator?

Thank you!

Amanda

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2015

You need to enable the "reporter browse" permission. You can then use it in a permission scheme to allow people access if they are the reporter, without granting them access to other issues in the project. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Current+Reporter+Browse+Project+Permission

0 votes
Andrey Kuzmin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2015

You should concider using Issue Level Security. Just assign roles that should see Issues along with Assignees and make it default security.

Suggest an answer