Is there a way for a user to report his percent complete on a project?

Mark Bickford May 27, 2014

For a JIRA standard (non-Agile) project, is there a way within JIRA for an individual assignee to generate an aggregate "percent complete" (or "work ratio') metric for his tasks for the entire project? All of the time tracking reports and charts I can find are oriented at the overall project level for the PM. I'm looking for something within JIRA itself, rather than exporting to Excel.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2014

Run a filter for "assigned to me" and add the "work log sum" fields at the bottom of the list of fields to the display.

Mark Bickford May 28, 2014

That only shows the total per issue with sub-tasks rolled up, correct? I'm trying to find a summary value for the entire issue list. Or am I missing something?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2014

Correct. But once you've got a search that covers each issue, you can save it as a filter and run off the timetracking and workload reporting.

Mark Bickford June 2, 2014

Thanks; I tried that, and while I can find reports, etc. for remaining workload, I can't find anything that resolves that workload into a percentage complete at the level of an individual user. Ideally, I'd like something that would show:

(Hours Worked)/(Hours Worked + Remaining Estimate) = Percent Complete

(Hours Worked)/Original Estimate) = Percent Complete (highlights variance; not sure what to call it)

I could use the Aggregation Gadget to show a sum of any of those fields and then calculate the percentage manually. I tried using it to average the Percent Complete but that gives an incorrect answer. My goal is to give an end-user something that will do the math for him that he can then use in his status reports to his PM and manager. What am I not seeing? Thanks again for your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2014

I'd be tempted to do that as a scripted/derived field - you'll need to write a plugin to do that, or probably better, use the script runner plugin. The field would calculate for each issue, not an aggregate, but I think you'd be able to use it to aggregate.

Mark Bickford June 12, 2014

Thanks. That field (percent complete) already exists as a derived field on the existing reports, but the aggregate doesn't work. I could see doing it as a gadget that calculated

PercentDone=Σ(Hours Worked)/Σ(Hours Worked + Time Remaining)

but I was hoping to avoid that.

Like Mark Majer likes this

Suggest an answer