Is there a way as a user (vs. a system admin) to control what Jira issue changes are sent in email notifications for watched issues?

jhardin-aptos-com May 6, 2016

Is there a way to control what changes to a JIRA issue are sent via email when it is being watched? For example, I don't care when time is posted against the issue, or when certain fields are modified, yet I do want to know when comments are posted. As it is, I get an email message for pretty much every change and it's smothering me.

I'd rather configure notification preferences in JIRA rather than filter rules in my email client.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2016

You need to talk to your administrators about the "notification schemes".  (At the very least, I tend to remove the "tell everyone about issue updates", as those are usually overwhelming.)

jhardin-aptos-com May 6, 2016

You need to talk to your administrators about the "notification schemes".

I'm aware of that, and I'm pursuing that option, but it's possible that other users do want to know about things like worklogs (say, for example, a team manager), and they won't want to suppress them sitewide. That's why I specified "as a user (vs. a system admin)" in my question.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2016

Yes, but I thought "you need to talk to an administrator" might be enough to tell you that that is your only option.  Users can add/remove themselves as watchers on issues, and that's it.

I'm sorry, that reads back as being terse, and I really did not mean it that way.  Hopefully, you read it better than I wrote it.

I wanted to add that there's no option off-the-shelf, but there might be some add-ons that give your users some more flexibility.

Suggest an answer