Is there a visualization plugin for visualising three levels of linked issues?

Oliver Gindlhumer June 22, 2018

Hi everyone,

I am using a combination of JIRA, Confluence and Bitbucket for the development of a medical device software and for documentation purposes. While I am very happe with the structure I have set up so far, I have one unsolved problem with visualizing my documentation.

Basically I have a three level structure of my issues:

• Requirements (defines SW-requirements)
    • Specifications (specify Requirementstickets)
      • Worktickets (new function, improve function, Bug, Test [using Zephyr plugin here])

This works flawlessly, and I have a fully consistent documentation (compliant with EN 62304 standard). However the most important step is to create documents, that I can put into my technical file or at least generate when audited. And here is where I need your help.

I have tested a plugin called TraceabilityX by excentia, which is actually wonderful. It does precisely what I need however with one major flaw:

It can only visualize two levels and I need to visualize three levels. However the way it is displayed is absolutly perfect. (The picture is actually from the traceabilityX doc and it perfectly shows what I need.)

d245df75-d804-44bb-ace2-3b29cf58215d

Can you guys recommend me a similar plugin, that can actually provide clear visualization of three levels of issues?

That would help me a ton. 
Thanks in advance and best regards,

Oliver

Edit: Just to give some insight to what I have tried already and why it did not fit:
- Vivid Trace: Has a wonderful multilevel visualization, however there is no way for me to adapt the bubbles, so I can actually read the Ticket-info. Also I have not found an export function other than graphics export.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2018

Hi, Oliver. You may want to check our Structure for Jira by ALM Works, and Big Picture by Software Plant.  I’m not sure how exactly they will work with your specific use case, but both are very popular marketplace apps and both enable you to visualize the entire hierarchy of your trees. (There are some others, too, but these are the most popular / most highly rated.)

As I work for ALM Works, I can say that if you wish to discuss the use of our Jira app in your specific use case we’d be very happy to speak with you. Just contact us at support.almworks.com

Good luck!

-dave [ALM Works]

Oliver Gindlhumer June 25, 2018

Thanks Dave!

This looks quite like what I ve been looking for.

However, I guess I will need some read into the manual for creating the right Query to display everything just how I need it.
I will contact your support incase I need help.

Thanks a lot!

Oliver

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2018

You’re welcome, Oliver.  Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need help. We’ll be happy to assist.

By the way,  based on your use case, you may wish to take a look at the Structure.Pages extension for Structure, too.

-dave 

Oliver Gindlhumer June 25, 2018

I just got myself the evaluation license and played around a bit with it and I can safely say, it is very easy to use and very powerful.

I quickly got myself a structure set up and easily created an excellent overview about the three levels of issues. I think this is exactly what we have been looking for.

Thanks a lot!

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2018

Glad you think so.  Good luck with everything. 

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2019

You could also use the "traceability report" template of the Better PDF Exporter app.

The nicety in this approach is it is super-flexible:

1. you can select the columns you are interested in in the Issue Navigator (native feature)
  2. you can select the root issues also in the Issue Navigator
  3. you can customize the link types to follow, whether sub-tasks should also be followed and the maximum distance in the template (or even completely rewrite the traversal logic)

Then it results in a "no fluff, just stuff" report (see the PDF file) like this:

jira-traceability-report

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2018
Oliver Gindlhumer June 22, 2018

Hi Gaston,

Thanks for your answer. This did indeed look promising, however if I am not mistaken, it is only able to visualize the hierarchy of a single ticket.  

What I liked about TraceabilityX is, that I could tell it: Please show me all Requirements-tickets with every linked issue.

Suggest an answer