Is there a size limit on the view file plugin for JIRA 7.1.4?

Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2016

I notice that when I click on a PDF attachment that is less than 1mb, the file viewer works just fine.  When I try to open a PDF file larger than 1mb, I get a "Please Wait" message that never clears and the file can only be viewed when downloaded.  Anyone know what that's about?  

image2016-4-25 14:46:14.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2016

In further digging, this is caused by the fact that the PDF files were actually interactive forms, rather than a "generic" PDF file.  By default, forms can only be opened with Adobe Acrobat, or in IE (likely assuming Acrobat is installed) once the file has been saved locally.  The PDF viewers for web browsers can only open non-interactive PDF files.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2016

Was his error message generated by JIRA or the PDF Viewer? Can you open pdf files outside of JIRA that is more than 1MB?

Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2016

Just tried downloading the PDF and opening with the Chrome PDF viewer and received the same message.  This appears to be a PDF Viewer limit.

Suggest an answer