Is there a recycle bin for jira cloud? can things be recovered?

Stefanie Sullivan October 16, 2019

Is there a recycle bin for jira cloud? What is someone deletes a project or a task/story/epic?

4 answers

1 vote
Allister Scicluna July 24, 2020

To restore a project: 

1. Choose the setting icon > Projects.
  2. Select Trash from the sidebar. 
  3. Find your classic project and select the three dots > Restore
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2020

Please note that the above is only applicable for Cloud Premium. This feature was just introduced very recently along w/ the Premium platform. Standard does not support project archiving, trash/restore.

Digicraze October 19, 2020

I was able to find it, in the free version. Thanks!

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2019

unfortunately not. Delete is forever. The only recovery is if you are doing backups and you restore from backup but chances are you will lose changes w/ restore if any time has lapsed. 

The best course of action is to not give anyone "delete" permissions.

Stefanie Sullivan October 24, 2019

Sorry meant to write my reply here - how do we remove these permissions?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

project settings > permissions there is a "Delete Issues" entry. make sure that only admins have this capability.

Like Sarah Henderson likes this
0 votes
Stefanie Sullivan October 24, 2019

How do we remove this permission?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2019

The permission scheme. Remove the Delete Issue permission from EVERYONE

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

Joel Dale February 7, 2020

This is a failing of Jira treating all "issue" types as the same from a deletion perspective. A subtask vs a story vs an epic. I literally don't care if subtasks come and go in and out of existence. I use them truly as light weight, singular engineering tasks that may or may not actually be needed. So I want to delete them regularly.

Like Sarah Henderson likes this
Sarah Henderson February 9, 2023

Not great, I hardly know any applications which don't have a Recycle bin even if the storage there is timed for a short period only.  This should be a standard functionality.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer