Is there a "date with text" custom field available?

Deleted user July 21, 2017

One of our projects had the following idea:

• Create a new custom field to hold the "Expected due date".
  • Allow the project then to add a "comment" to that field to describe why that due date is expected.

You can of course create a custom field "Expected Due Date" and use a date picker for that, but how to hold the text then?

A comment is just one of many, and not easy to find later. Is there such a beast like "date with text" available, that is treated like one custom field, but with 2 values in it, a date and a text?

I could think of more cases where such a field could help.

When I should use 2 fields instead (a date picker with a text field), the following constraints should be implemented:

• Ensure that the text is filled if and only if a date is given.
  • Ensure that the comment is cleared when the date is cleared (and vice versae).
  • Allow the check of those constraints not only in a transition, but when editing the issue.

1 answer

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2017

Markus,

It's possible to use the standard due date plus a text field to indicate the reason of the due date.

A more elaborate (complicated) way:

You can put the fields one above the other and if you wan't make them avaiable only from a transition, in the transition you can specificy some validation to enforce that both fields should change to be able to make the update.

Deleted user July 24, 2017

Thank's a lot for your answer. 

Your proposal works, but only if the fields can only be filled in a transition. What I would like to reach (and was not clear in the original question, I will correct that), is that the following should be possible:

• Check that a comment is included if and only if when the expected date is filled.
  • Ensure that the comment is not included if the date is not filled.
  • Allow those validations any time when editing, not only in a transition.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events