Is there a maximum number of items allowed in one board?

Julia Osteen December 2, 2022

Is there a maximum amount of items you can list in a single board in the free version of Jira Software? It seems some of our items are disappearing and we are thinking it might be because we've maxed it out? Should we upgrade Jira software versions to in order to prevent this? Are there any other reasons an item on a board would disappear?

I am able to find the items if I go Projects --> View All Projects --> search for the item in the upper right hand search bar and then item shows it is located in the correct board. When I visit the board I don't see the item and if I search within the board it doesn't show up.

2 answers

3 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Hello @Julia Osteen 

Welcome to the community.

There is a limit to the number of items that can be displayed on a board, but it doesn't matter if you are using a Free or Paid subscription.

For a Business/Work Management project that limit is 1000 issues.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-23

For a Software project board the limit is 5000 issues.

Do you think you are exceeding those limits?

If not, in addition to the tips from @Hamza Chundrigar please let us know the following:

1. What type of project is it; Software, Business/Work Management, or Service?

2. Is it a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project? This will be specified at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

3. What type of board is it; Scrum or Kanban?

1 vote
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2022

Hi @Julia Osteen 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

A few things that might help troubleshoot your issue (fingers crossed):

• Did you change your board filter?
  • Have you created new statuses in your workflow.  Jira items/tickets are not visible if you have new statuses and are not mapped to the appropriate columns on your board (this can be checked by going into the board settings).
  • Are there any distinct differences between the items that have disappeared versus the items that haven't?
  • Are these tasks marked as done? How old are these items that have disappeared? I ask because Done issues disappear from the board after 2 week after they have been marked 'Done'.

Best regards,
Hamza

Julia Osteen December 2, 2022

"Done" is any column name in green, correct? I think that's the issue. I renamed a green column to something different and items that have been in there >2 weeks maybe are disappearing.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Issues disappearing because they are "done" applies only to Kanban boards, not Scrum boards, just to be clear.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events