Is there a limit to the number of comments that can be added to an issue?

JTRunner August 6, 2014

Is there a limit to the number of comments that can be added to an issue?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JTRunner August 14, 2014

I can't believe that the Subversion plug-in set an arbitrary limit to the number of commit comments that can be added to JIRA. At the very least this should be a configuration setting, that is set a limit but give the user the means to change it.

2 votes
Gordon Huang August 3, 2018

There are no limits to the number of comments added to a JIRA ticket.  I have a JIRA ticket with 75K+ comments generated by a user's automation script.   We had to delete the ticket and build custom alerts to flags these situations.  These tickets will crash your entire JIRA node.  

1 vote
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2014

It's unlimited, altought, too many comments on an issue can impact performance while loading that issue and even posting a new comment on it.

JTRunner August 6, 2014

The limitation appears to be on Subversion commit comments. Only the 100 most recent comments are posted to JIRA.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2014

Yes, that's correct, it is limited to 100 in the svn stuff.

As Luciano says, issue comments are limited only by the large numbers that computers can handle, far more than you'll ever use. But you will start to see it struggle to render pages when you have more than 500 comments on a single issue...

JTRunner August 7, 2014

As I said above, the Subversion commit comments seem to have a 100 limitation. I can go directly to Subversion and see 24 earlier comments, however in JIRA, only the latest 100 comments are there.

JTRunner August 7, 2014

Is there any way to remove or change the Subversion limitation anmd why is it there?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2014

I thnk that's a case of downloading the source, changing it to suit and rebuilding the plugin. I don't know why it's been limited.

Suggest an answer