Is there a limit to exporting to Excel (All Fields), besides those that can be configured?

Daniel Bower June 30, 2014

I have a user trying to export over 9,000 records to Excel (All Fields). They are in a group that is allowed unlimited export rows. The dowload starts, but appears to hang in any browser. I'm trying to get them to export only the fields they need, as Excel (Current Fields) export works, but returns a 20+ MB file. Is there a filesize limitation for exporting to excel?

As I mentioned, I'm trying to work with them to limit the number of fields they export, or reduce the scope of the query entirely. Just curious if there's a system limitation that we're running into.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2014

Yes, memory and processor resources.

The whole reason that there is a 1000 default limit is that the export is resource intensive. There's no way of knowing where a particular system will fall over, as it's a function of the complexity of the export, the resources available and the load from other activity, but it will fall over.

I'd advise them to

a) Re-evaluate why they think they need an export

b) Re-instate the 1000 issue limit and make them slice their data up

Suggest an answer