Is there a filter in the result display?

e.g. in the result screen of custom fields, there are so many entries I have scroll the mouse all the way down to find it, same as many other result display. Really wish there is a filter on these pages.

Thanks

Jirong

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

I'm a bit confused as I cannot work out which part of JIRA you are looking at.  I'd guess a "result screen" probably refers to the issue navigator when you run a filter, but you've added "of custom fields", which makes me think you mean something else (because the issue navigator is the result of a filter and just displays custom fields if you choose to do so, and whilst having too many can mean scrolling left/right to see them, up/down is paging through the issues, not fields)

Maybe if you gave us the url you are on when you're having the issue? (The relative url - like my-jira-server/jira/browse/XYZ-123)  Or a screenshot?

I am working as an admin. Go to Issues --> Fields --> Custom Fields. There will be so many entries there. I would like to have a filter here.

Ah, the actual list of custom fields. If you are struggling on that page, then there's a good reason there's no filtering - it's not a good idea to have lots of custom fields. If you've gone over 100, it's time to take a serious look at why you've got so many. For long lists, a filter might be handy, but I can't see a huge demand for it - ctrl-f in the browser works for most. And for experienced Jira admins, a huge list is a bit of a red-flag that you've got a structural problem.

There are other places need this filter too, e.g. the list projects page, when we have over a hundred projects. There are other tools such as BuildForge provides this type of filter on every page when result is showing. To me, it's a must.

Thing is, it's not a results page, it's an admin page. Only a tiny handful of people should have access to it, and they should know what they're doing. It's a lot of coding to add a feature that only a tiny number of people should ever see, ctrl-f is a perfectly good workaround, and the page should not need it - if you have a reasonable usable number of custom fields, you don't need the function.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

528 views 23 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you