Is there a document that articulates and clearly captures what permissions a JIRA project admin has?

Proteus Engineering July 20, 2017

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but I'd like to be able to refer to a single resource that tells me what access rights a JIRA project admin has to make modifications and conversely what  modifications are solely a JIRA application admin function.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2017

The stock answer for this from JIRA 3.6 until JIRA 7.2 is that a project admin can administrate

• Users and groups in project roles
  • Components
  • Versions
  • Bits of JIRA Agile/Software

7.3 granted project admins some control over workflows.  7.4 allows more, including some field and screen stuff.  As long as the config is only for their project.

Proteus Engineering July 20, 2017

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-. Do you know if you can manage permissions e.g: add role to browse project, add role to create issues etc. if a permission scheme has been dedicated to a project? I'm guessing not, considering as a project admin I can't but asking anyway.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2017

No, you can't do that, and I don't think you ever will be able to - the delegated permissions are creeping into the permission schemes, so you'd need to keep them locked to prevent a project admin granting themselves all admin rights.

Suggest an answer