Is there a date field that gets set when a transition occurs, or do I have to create one?

Anthony Bouttell August 16, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Advanced workflow configuration

Is there a date field that gets set when a transition occurs, or do I have to create one?

I have a workflow with multiple transition. I'm interested in determining how long a ticket has been in the current status for. for instance I have status called "edit". The next step in the workflow is "approval". While the status is in "edit" I want to be able to tell how long it's been there for. When the transition to "approval" occurs, I want to know when it happens and then see how long it stays in approval for. I could use a single field that changes no matter what Transition occurs.

2 answers

0 votes
Anthony Bouttell August 16, 2016

yep, I figured that was the case.

Thanks for the response :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2016

You'll have to create one - JIRA has no way to know what transitions you might want to set up in a workflow and track dates for (imagine the 120 step workflow I saw the other day).

It does record the date/time of each transition of course, but that's not a field, it's a line in the history.

If you were on Server JIRA, I'd suggest writing a derived custom field that can look back through the history and pull the date(s) you need, but I don't think you can do that on Cloud, the best you can do is explicitly trap "now" and write it to a field.

Suggest an answer