Is there a bug with the Recently Created Chart gadget regarding the earliest data point?

Steve Denton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 15, 2021

I've created a dashboard containing nine gadgets, in a 3x3 array, each being a Recently Created Chart. 

The left-hand three charts show data for Bugs, for the last three years, with the top one grouping by month, the middle one grouping by quarter and the bottom one grouping by year. The middle and right-hand column present data for Incidents and Change Requests, respectively, also grouping by month, quarter and year from top to bottom.

So far, so good.

But when I was checking a few of the gadgets by expanding them to full screen and clicking on their chart columns or the associated table data entries, I found something very odd: the data presented in the charts agreed with the data in the tables in all cases, and both agreed with the number of issues returned by the corresponding filter except for the earliest data - i.e. the data behind the left-most bar in the bar-chart or the first row in the table. This was the case for each and every gadget, across all issue types and date groupings. 

For example, for Incidents grouped by year, the bar-chart and accompanying table are as shown in the first screenshot. Notice that the bar heights agree with the data in the table.

Bug with JIRA bar chart 1.jpg
But when I click on either the first bar, for 2018, or the number 13 in the 2018-Resolved entry in the table, I actually get 126 issues returned by the filter instead of just 13, as the second screenshot shows.

Bug with JIRA bar chart 2.jpg

So it appears that the gadget - both bar-chart and accompanying data table - is underreporting the actual number of issues that satisfy the criteria of the filter for that specific data - the earliest data - while accurately reporting the number of issues returned for all the other bars and table entries (and it is always underreported - the actual number of issues returned by the filter is always more - sometimes substantially more - than reported in the gadget).

This is deeply puzzling! If all the bars and table entries are based on essentially the same underlying filters, with only the date ranges varying, why is it that the earliest data set alone is being underreported?

1 answer

0 votes
Aymene Bennour
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 4, 2024

Hello, I have the same exact problem @Steve Denton did you find a way to solve it ? thanks 

Bryan Ferkins April 4, 2024

Me too.

Suggest an answer