Is their a way to create a new worlflow from scratch while using the attlasian on demand package?

pushpeshkarki2016 October 9, 2012

I don't want to edit the default workflow or to copy the same to construct the new. Please let me know if there is a workaround for the same.

Also when I tried to import a workflow bundle I am getting this error. Can I get the reason why this is happening and how to fix this?

I am using Atlassian on demand latest version(5.3)

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Josh Devenny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2012

Hi Pushpesh,

There are two different areas within JIRA where you can perform actions on workflows. The first of these is the project configuration area and that is where the above screenshots are from.

The second area that you can manipulate workflows is in global administration. This is where you can create new workflows in the system. In order to access this in OnDemand, you can:

• Click on the 'Administration' cog menu in the top right hand corner
  • Choose 'Issues'
  • Click on Workflows in the left hand navigation menu
  • Click 'Add Workflow'
  • Give it a name
  • You will be taken to the workflow designer with a blank workflow (Create and Open statuses only)

Cheers

Josh

pushpeshkarki2016 October 15, 2012

Thank you very much Josh :)

0 votes
pushpeshkarki2016 October 14, 2012

This is the 2nd screen for the default layout where the user need to select one of the predefined work flows.

0 votes
  • this is the screenshot of the default option i get while creating a new workflow.
0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

Hi Pushpesh,

It is indeed possible to create new workflows in your Atlassian OnDemand instance, so I would suggest that you review the instructions in this document for how to configure this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Configuring+Workflow

However, it isn't actually possible to import workflows in XML form and this would explain why you cannot import your workflow as this is a restricted function. Please see our documentation on the restricted functions in Atlassian OnDemand to get an insight into the possibilities and limitations of the platform: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand

All the best,
John

pushpeshkarki2016 October 10, 2012

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have read those links and i still I am in the same position. I am unable to create a blank workflow from scratch. The reason behind could be following:

1. Whether i am making some serious stupid mistake.

2. Could be that the documentation is outdated or not updated for the latest builds/releases.

I am using atlassian on demand latest version (5.3). Below is the list of things which I am unable to see or find option to do:

1. Select Administration > Issues > Workflows to open the Workflows page,

i can't see any options as issues on admin page, plus there is a direct link to select the work flow.

2. Create a new workflow in JIRA using either of the following methods:

· Create a 'blank' workflow by first clicking the Add Workflow button and in the resulting Add Workflow dialog box:

1. Type aName(usually 2-3 words) to identify your new workflow.
  2. (Optional)Type a detailedDescriptionof your new workflow.
  3. Click the Add button. The workflow will open in edit mode, showing your new workflow containing a step called Open. If you are viewing your workflow in Diagram edit mode, you will see which has an incoming transition called Create

I can't see any such options, whereas when i click to create a new workflow it takes to you a new screen where on the left side it list all the previous created workflow and the user need to use one of them.

Please let me know if you have solution for the same, or is this a mistake from end?

I am attaching the screenshots for the support of the comments above.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2012

Screenshot?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2012

Are you sure you have permissions to create a workflow?

Yes i have the admin permissions.

Suggest an answer