• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Is the syncronizer for TFS4jira now a requirement? Seems some docs say that it is for the cloud. Maybe I grabbed the wrong installer.Installation docs are not so good.Thanks for any info

Is the syncronizer for TFS4jira now a requirement? Seems some docs say that it is for the cloud. Maybe I grabbed the wrong installer.Installation docs are not so good.Thanks for any info

Russ Robinson June 8, 2015

2 answers

0 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2015

@Mateusz Zielinski [Spartez] - (there's three of you found by the @ user lookup - hoping I picked the correct one)

I also have this same question but don't think you've answered it quite.

I have the 5.0 TFS4JIRA synchronizer installed on a standalone server communicating with both JIRA (6.3.15) and TFS (2012). I've created a single synchronizer between a JIRA project and a TFS Repository Collection & Project.

When viewing the synchronizer through the TFS4JIRA portal on the Synchronization Configuration >> Settings tab I see a hyperlink under the 'Synchronization Interval' field labelled 'Configure Check-ins Scanning'. ref the image below for what I'm ... uh ... referencing.

Do I need to do this check-in scanning configuration to build the indexes required to display the correct results on an issue's TFS Check-ins tab-panel? Or, since my client's developers always associate a TFS Work Item (that is linked via the synchronizer to a JIRA issue) with every check-in is the check-in scanner not required?

Asked another way is the 'legacy check-in scanner' you reference only present in a jar file installed on the JIRA server - much like the old subversion plugin? And any check-in scanner I can access through the TFS4JIRA Synchronizer Server portal therefore NOT a 'legacy' artifact - and thus needed to be active in order to build the results displayed on an issue's TFS Check-ins tab-panel?

-wc

comment converted to answer so I can attach a friggin screenshot...

screenShotOfTFS4JIRASynchronizerSettingsTab.png

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2015

Ok, so I went through the doc (which is good doc....dunno what doc OP was reading) and found this on your TFS4JIRA usage page: Associating using TFS Work Item If you have properly set up your synchronizer application to perform TFS-JIRA issues synchronization and (in case of JIRA Cloud environment) exposed it to web requests from the internet (see Settings for JIRA Cloud), associating check-ins with JIRA issues is even easier - actually it is fully automatic. All you need to do is associate your check-in with a TFS work item and the Synchronizer will take care of the rest - it will find the work item's matching issue and when you open that issue it will display the changeset. ---- This seems to indicate that if you have the synchronizer setup as I do you don't need to configure the Check-ins Scanning or have it run, create extra sessions against the JIRA server or anything else. Is this correct? -wc

Janusz Gorycki August 17, 2015

Hi William, Even if you have TFS work items linked with JIRA issues, you still need to have checkins scanning configured in the synchronizer (*not* the legacy scanner) in order for checkins to be visible in JIRA. I hope this helps Best Regards Janusz Gorycki, spartez.com

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2015

EXACTLY what I was wanting to find out. Thanks man -wc

0 votes
Mateusz Zieliński June 10, 2015

Hi,

Thank you for giving TFS4JIRA a try. If you want to synchronize JIRA issues with TFS work items then TFS4JIRA Synchronizer is required. If you only want to show TFS check-ins in JIRA then you have two options:

1. Use TFS4JIRA Synchronizer for scanning TFS repository (recommended).
  2. Use legacy check-ins scanner build in TFS4JIRA JIRA plugin. Please note that it's not recommended because new features will not be added here.

I would strongly encourage you to use TFS4JIRA Synchronizer in any case. You can find more details regarding installation and configuration of TFS4JIRA in our documentation.

If you have any further questions I am here to help you 

Best Regards,
Mateusz Zieliński (The Spartez Team)

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2015

crapola - can't attach an issue to an answer comment - converting to an answer so I can attach a friggin screenshot of what I'm talking about... -wc

Suggest an answer