Is the Update Issue Custom Field post function available in Jira OnDemand?

Jeff Scarsbrook September 13, 2012

Looking at my system info, I am using Jira 5.2-m04 with my Jira OnDemand software. I have been trying to find an easy way to set the value of a custom field (User Picker) to the Current User. None of the Post Functions I have available in my transition screen will do that. While searching, I found that they added some post functions, including Update Issue Custom Field, which accepts %%CURRENT_USER%% as the value and utilizes the current user name automatically just the way I want. Unfortunately, I don't see that option in the OnDemand suite. According to comments, they also added the ability to use %%CURRENT_DATETIME%% also as another option for that post function in version 1.2.4 of Jira. It's my understanding that the 5.2-m04 version I am using for OnDemand correlates to version 1.2.4 of Jira, so I would expect it to be there. Any thoughts?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

By Default, JIRA Suite Utilties plugin is disabled in onDemand. Go to Administration > Plugins > Manage Plugins and enable the plugin.

You will then see that post function.

Jobin, thank you SO much for that quick response. I was hopeful that it was going to be an easy "fix". I didn't even think to look at the plugins, since I thought something like that would be on by default. In any case, that did the trick, so thanks again! I really appreciate it!

On a related note, this now brings up another question. It looks like when you use that post function with the %%CURRENT_USER%% macro assigned to a custom User Picker field, it sets the value with the userid. Is there any way to display the Full Name field the way that the Assignee field does? I would've expected that macro to use the Full Name as opposed to the user name, since most people are used to seeing an actual name, but I guess it doesn't necessarily do that. Thanks again, though.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

It depends on the custom field and not the plugin. If it is user customfield, it should show the full name.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

Actually, for user picker fields, the value stored in database will be the username. So that is fine. Display should be full name though, with a link to the user profile. I don't see the attachment.

Jobin, yeah, I expected it to show the name, since I used a custom field of type 'User Picker'. Is there a different type that I should be using? The only thing I was thinking is that the %%CURRENT_USER%% is a macro and maybe they mapped it to the username instead of the Full Name of the user object. This is what I got as a result when I tried it as is:

yeah, I assumed the username would be the actual value stored, but I, too, was expecting the Full Name to display. I tried pasting the screen shot of it in my post, but it didn't like it. Is there a special way to show it here on this site, or do I need to upload the pic to a hosting site and then link to it?

I may be having problems because I'm on a Mac? When I clicked on Choose File and added it, it showed up when I clicked on the Show Preview link it had the image displayed, but when I click on the Comment button, it's gone. I'll try to upload it somewhere. Unfortunately, our work has most image sites on the not allowed list.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

Upload it elsewhere and link it.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

Isn't that the edit screen? Only the username will appear there. How does it look in the "View" screen?

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

maybe the standard Jira "Assignee" field is a slightly different type behind the scenes

It is!

Have fun.

Jobin, yes, that was on the edit screen. You are so right, it does show full name in the main "view" screen under the "People" section. When I went into the "Edit" screen, that's where I saw it as the username. I guess I was expecting it to be like the standard Jira "Assignee" field, which shows the full name when you select someone. However, maybe the standard Jira "Assignee" field is a slightly different type behind the scenes (maybe derived from the User Picker type, but not the exact same). Thanks for all of your help, Jobin!

Well then, mystery solved! :)

I'm sure I will be seeing you again soon when I post my next question. We are trying out the OnDemand suite, but it looks like we're going to go the installed route (mainly due to Fisheye/Crucible not playing completely nice with our GitHub repository in the OnDemand product), so I expect to have a number of questions. Thanks again!

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

No worries. Btw, I only accept IPhone 5 as gifts. My address is ....

Suggest an answer