Is the JIRA Screenshot applet in v6.4.5 compatible with MS Internet Explorer running java 1.8?

Steve Moffat September 30, 2015

Is anyone successfully using the Attach Screenshot function with Win 7, Internet Explorer 10 and Java 1.8?

We are seeing an error message that began, I think, with the java 1.8 upgrade on our Windows clients.  The Attach Screenshot message says "Your Java security settings are blocking this feature.  Please upgrade to the latest Java."

The version of Java we have is 1.8.0_60, which is quite current.

I know this worked with java 1.7, but I have not tested it for a while, and now user reports are coming in since the java upgrade.

When the Attach Screenshot is selected from the More tab, The java spinner shows up for a few seconds before the error is displayed.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Steve Moffat October 2, 2015

Hi Rodrigo;

I have two environments here I can test with.

1. Managed Desktop:  I cleared the IE cache and using the java console I cleared the offline files, including applets. After rebooting I opened IE and went to Jira.  I saw no prompt for the Java add-on.  I opened an issue and used the More > Attache Screenshot.  I saw no prompt then either.  The java spinner comes up, and after a few seconds the error message saying the security settings are preventing the function from running, or that I should upgrade java.  Java is 1.8.0_60, which is quite current.  The desktop support person says the URL i use for JIRA is permitted to run java applications.
  2. Windows VM: I did see the prompts in this environment, both at step 1 and step 2, however I still see the security settings message.

The desktop support person is asking me if the applet is compatible with java 1.8.

0 votes
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2015

Hello Steve,

Please try this out:

1. Open IE and access JIRA. IE will ask if you want to Allow Java add-on -> Click Yes.
  2. Open an issue. From More -> Attach Screenshot -> IE will ask if you want to Allow Applet for JIRA -> Click Yes

Please let me know if this helps!

Suggest an answer