Is the Atlassian Marketplace server down?

Simon Ward December 16, 2012

We just Upgraded to Jira 5.0 and can't get our installed plugins to work as we can't connect to the AMS from UPM

Is there a problem currently - we can't even ping that server.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

Hi Simon,

I've just checked and I can currently reach it, although that doesn't mean that it wasn't temporarily unavailable the few minutes ago that you added this question but we haven't had any other reports of it being down at this time so I'd suggest that you try it again now and if you're still not able to ping it then check your network's connectivity for firewalls or other network components that might be blocking traffic.

All the best,
John

Thanks John.

Aper the above comment to Jame Echlin, we have not changed our dev instance but access to the AMP is blocked from there too. How can we correct this? Will we have to roll back?

The upgrade to 4.4 was done by people now departed so we are a bit stuck.

any suggestions?

Regards

Simon

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2012

I don't think an upgrade of the server side would do this - it's something in your network that is the problem.

My best guess is that your network might have been configured to allow outgoing connections from <program A> and now that you've upgraded it, the system doesn't recognise it as <program A> any more.

John's advice about network tracing is the best starting point - you need to check if the *server* can even reach the marketplace.

There is one other thing to look at. You haven't really said how you upgraded (new server, old server and clean install, install over the top of existing Jira etc). I ran into https connections to the marketplace a couple of times on a clean install - note that the marketplace is https, so you need to make sure your server has the right certificates for it. We left the required certificates out of the java keystore, so applications running Java couldn't connect to https sites, even though the server could. Getting the right certs in solved it.

Hi Nic

Thanks for your help

I just did a standard upgrade from 4.4 to 5.0. I can get to the marketplace directly when logged into the server, but not via the UPM.

I have an old version of the UPM (2.3), I was expecting to have to upgrade this, and greenhopper(5.8) once the JIRA upgrade was done. But as I can't access the Marketplace I'm a touch stuck.

I reckon this has to be something really simple. Where should I look for the network issue in the logs.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2012

Also, what does this mean? How are you connecting?

>I can get to the marketplace directly when logged into the server, but not via the UPM

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2012

You know, I've been really dumb and completely forgotten something. There's a bug in at least one version of 5.0.x. I ran into it during a client upgrade, filed it to be looked at later, and a newer (fixed) version was released before I got into any detail - exactly which version have you gone up to? I know it's solved in the latest version of 5.0, and from memory, we hit it with 5.0.5 or 5.0.6

If you're not suffering that, then you need to read the application log for the last time you visited the UPM page and got the "cannot connect" message.

We went up to 5.0 thinking it would be the most stable.

I can use IE to access the Marketplace. by typing in the uRL

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

Is the 'application log' atlassian-jira or atlassian-jira.log or atlassian-jira-security ..?

they all seem to just say it failed with Bundle is uninstalled errors like this

2012-12-17 13:24:07,622 http-8080-6 ERROR anonymous 804x2505x1 1633x1i 192.168.115.131 /s/en_GB-rvcotw/713/9/1.0/_/images/icons/icon_descending.png [atlassian.plugin.servlet.DefaultServletModuleManager] Unable to create filter
com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Bundle is uninstalled

Is there something I should be looking for?

We are looking into certificate issues currently to see if that's what causing the problem, although we didn't change any settings during the upgrade.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2012

Er, 5.0.what? There are 7 versions.

You may find IE has the right certificates bundled into it.

I don't recognise the error you're getting there, but it looks like a simple "fetch" of a missing icon. Implies something is wrong with your installation, but I don't know how you did the upgrade. All of the logs you mention are worth a look, but generally atlassian-jira.log is the most useful one.

The .exe just said 5.0 and was dated 10/08/12.

We are looking at rolling the upgrade back now as we can't be without the ability to create issues much longer. Can we just replace the new directories with the backed up ones?

The only reason we upgraded was because we had the 4.4 bug whereby we couldn't change Issue type screen schemes.

I think We'll need to do a fresh Install and re-key the workflows and migrate the issues somehow. But as we have 95% custom fields that could get messy too.

This is a bit of a nightmare !

Hi Nic

We are on 5.0 Build 713 - again I think we should be able to tweak a server setting (proxy? Certificate?) to allow us to get to the Marketplace. We just don't know where to go

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2012

Erk, I really don't know what version you might have then. I really do think you need to establish that before panicking - the full version will be displayed on the "system information" page under administration. If it is not 5.0.7, then I'd be strongly minded to try that before reverting to your backups.

As for restoring, no, it's not that easy. You need to restore the database from the backup too. Again, I'm not sure what you've got configured or how you installed it, so I can't really tell you a lot more.

Hi Nic

Thanks for all your assistance on this. I know it's tricky when you can't see 1st hand what has gone on.

Earlier, you mentioned that...

"There is one other thing to look at. You haven't really said how you upgraded (new server, old server and clean install, install over the top of existing Jira etc). I ran into https connections to the marketplace a couple of times on a clean install - note that the marketplace is https, so you need to make sure your server has the right certificates for it. We left the required certificates out of the java keystore, so applications running Java couldn't connect to https sites, even though the server could. Getting the right certs in solved it."

Where can we get the correct Certificate(s)? Where do we put them when we have them?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2012

The build number is not important - what is the full version number? Look in Admin -> System information.

There are a default set of certificates in Internet Explorer - you should be able to use those. IE -> Tools -> Internet options -> Content -> Certificates -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities.

You'll find an export option, then you'll need to get them imported to whatever secure store your Jira/Tomcat is using (it's usually a file called jssecacerts and you use the java program "keytool" to maintain it normally).

However, I should point out that if your old Jira was able to see the UPM, then that must already have been set up correctly, so I'd be looking at that installation to see what you've changed (the upgrade won't have touched any of your certificate or connectivity related stuff)

Hi Nic

Version is 5.0 is all it says. I went for that thinking it would be more stable.

We have tried the IE certificates to no avail, so we are still no further forward with this.

How do we get hold of some hands-on (or Telephone) support to troubleshoot and fix the issue?

I think we have exhausted all the options from the forum route, Thanks again for your patience and help.

Is there a number I can call to get assistance - I'm happy to Call Sydney if necessary.

We have some very unhappy users and I need to either get this fixed or rolled back in the next 24 hours.

Regards

Simon

Simon Ward December 17, 2012

Hi Nic, Jamie, John

This has now been fixed. John Chin Kim Loong picked up on the issue.

The resolution was to upgrade the UPM manually to 2.7 then all seemed to click into place.

I then upgraded all the old plugins to their latest versions using the new UPM.

after a few stops, starts and re-indexes all is now working again.

Thanks all heaps for your assistance.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

Most likely a proxy issue... check your system properties from the previous installation.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/marketplace.atlassian.com/

Hi Jamie

Thanks for that - it appears that the upgrade has stopped acces from both the Dev instance and the Production instance, suggesting it's a server level issue. Does the upgrade change system proxy settings?

Is there any documentation as to what we need to have in place

I found this but I'm not sure it's relevant to our situation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Configure+an+Outbound+HTTP+Proxy+for+JIRA

Suggest an answer