Is setting up a separate project for each organization a good idea?

Tony Pieri July 18, 2017

Hi,

We are just getting started with Service Desk Cloud. Currently, we have the system set up with one project for our support department. We deal with about 200 companies, and we have added an organization for each company.

One of our employees who used Service Desk in the past thinks we are going about this all wrong. He insists that we should set up a different project for each organization and that this will give us much wider flexibility as we move into the future. It strikes me that while this may well increase our flexibility, it could result in the need for enourmous maintenance time as we move into the future.

Any thoughts? Are we really missing the boat by having one project with many organizations rather than a separate project for each organization?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

Hi Tony,

Given that you have to reconfigure your service desk request types for each project, SLA config, working hours and so on, I would say you are in the right direction.

It is only since last year (more or less) that organisations have been introduced in JIRA Service Desk. Before that, it was really difficult to share an overview of tickets with e.g. the support manager of your customer who wanted to see the status of all tickets created by his organisation.

Some key things to consider are e.g. what you are actually supporting (do you have 200 companies using the same application or do they all have their own), how do you manage releases (does each customer have his own version(s) or do you have a shared release schedule) and how you manage SLAs (are these limited or do you have custom SLAs for each and every customer). 

The more you tailor your offering to your customer, the more you might want to consider tailoring the service desk experience. But if your service offering is standard, I would say you are on the right track.

Tony Pieri July 18, 2017

Thanks very much. I appreciatethe well thought out answer.

Tony

Suggest an answer