Is script runner no longer going to be free?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2015

I installed it and have not used it yet. I just received an update stating:
Hi there,
The latest and greatest version of ScriptRunner for JIRA is available! Version 4.0.1 is now available in the Marketplace.
What's new: Commercial licensed release including compatibility with JIRA Data Center
250 users: $750
My question is this - is there no longer going to be a free version? If not I'm just going to uninstall now.

Hi there,

The latest and greatest version of ScriptRunner for JIRA is available! Version 4.0.1 is now available in the Marketplace.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark McCormack (Adaptavist)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2015

Robert,

All versions prior to version 4.0 will remain free (i.e 3.x or lower), so it depends on which version of JIRA you currently have.

Version 4.0 and above is now a paid Add-on. There is more information available in the release notes or on our Adaptavist blog.

If you need more information please contact Adaptavist via our website.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2015

Will 3.x have guaranteed compatibility with future releases of Jira? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a mooch, but I'm hesitant to start using something that will dead-end our ability to upgrade Jira.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2015

Robert, 3.x may work against future version of JIRA but there is no guarantee. Version 3.x would be unlikely to be compatible with say JIRA 7 for example.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2015

Thanks Mark. Unfortunately that means we will need to remove it from our system.

Andrey Kuzmin
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2015

Hello, Mark. Thanks for the answer. Is it somehow possible that pre 4.x verison will become open source?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2015

Commercial add-ons are rarely open source

Andrey Kuzmin
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2015

Well, it wasn't commercial in the first place. That's why I don't see a reson not to open source code for latest free verson of the product.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2015

Andrey, no we won't be making it available as Open Source.

1 vote
2click4life May 28, 2020

That is why I like TFS from Microsoft, one time we buy and we can use whatever we want. Jira is like  shopping at the airport. You buy a sandwich then you have to buy salt, water, and napkins.  Why Jira can charge some more money to the companies and give all the features as free. 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2020

I can certainly relate to your feelings - there are many missing features that need to be filled in by 3rd party tools - but I can understand Atlassian's desire to not only focus on the core product offerings, but also allowing the add-on market to thrive.  Not everyone needs the same functionality, so in that mindset you only pay for what you need.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2020

As a nerd who sometimes looks at markeplace numbers, I see markets polarising into two broad camps.

You've got the MS, ServiceNow, Oracle, CA camps who all try to do all the things.  They charge you for everything, and it's up to you to choose what to use from the products.

Or you go for the other end, like Atlassian, who look moderatley cheap, but have not-quite-so-obvious costs when you want to do something that's not their core product.

I really despise both of the ways these tend to bes sold  "We can do everything off the shelf" is simply a lie.  "We only do what you need and then select more, so we cost less" is not quite such a lie, but you'll find that the "oh but you'll need to pay for addition X" comes later, which is equally frustrating.

But you won't go wrong by dumping TFS.  MS have had three good products, ruined two, and none of them were ever TFS.  There's always a better way to work than TFS.

2click4life May 30, 2020

I do not care about any group or pole, here is the problem I face. As an employee when we want to do something and we see there is a third party solution is available with Jira. We request our management and unfortunately, it goes via management, IT security, and many other steps.  

Suggest an answer