Is "Import from Marketplace" a workaround for XML Workflow import on OnDemand (JIRA Cloud)

Lucid Software October 5, 2014

Modifying dozens of status and transitions and hundreds of attributes/conditions/post functions, etc. gets really tedious through the UI.

Unfortunately, OnDemand doesn't let me import a workflow from XML.

It seems that it makes you upload the XML workflow (with metadata) to marketplace, and then import it from marketplace.

Are there restrictions on this process? Can I expect this to work?

2 answers

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2014

Editing your title to be more clear. From: "Is Marketplace import a workaround for XML Workflow import" to "Is "Import from Marketplace" a workaround for XML Workflow import on OnDemand (JIRA Cloud)"

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2014

Hi Paul - 

Yeh - I guess you have hit a "cloud" restriction and can't upload from a local XML file which would make your life easier. Here's the only work around that I can think of:

1. Set up a standalone JIRA server (same version as JIRA Cloud)
  2. Get a data backup (I think you need to get this from Atlassian support, if that is still the process)
  3. Import that data backup into your newly built JIRA server
  4. Do all your changes fast and in bulk using a local XML
  5. Export system there and reimport back on OnDemand (work with Atlassian support on this)

Of course need to set up off-hours to do all this maintenance and this will be ongoing (down the line) if you keep having this need.

Maybe you want to consider "managed hosted" JIRA server, instead? Will also provide you with other flexibility.. If need any help - also with managed hosting options, happy to .. info@appfusions.com

==

btw - the reason for that workflow templating is logical on Atlassian's behalf. They are trying to simplify workflow creation dramatically, which in the earlier days of JIRA was one of the most challenging areas for new system users. This "Import from Marketplace" feature does achieve this - but also does not allow you to import your own local XML file as an additional option.. Not sure why but SaaS offerings are about "keeping you in the box" more, for logical guiding you reasons.

Suggest an answer