Is it still not possible to restore a deleted Jira ticket

Deleted user September 6, 2019

I have deleted a Jira ticket in error, is it still not possible to restore a deleted Jira ticket?

5 answers

2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2019

Hello,

The only way to restore a ticket is from a backup. But it would erase all changes after the backup was taken.

You should remove the Delete Issue permission from all users, groups and roles. Never delete tickets in Jira. Move tickets to a certain status.

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2019

++ - examples of what you can do are:

• Have resolutions such as Cancelled, Deleted or Redundant - then ensure filters for boards, etc negate these resolutions.
  • Have Archive projects - this means users can move issues to Archive or Trash to "delete" issues. You could even hide these projects from non-Admins so it looks and feels like delete - but is just a soft-delete option.

Ste

Like Antonio Ferruz likes this
1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2019

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

0 votes
elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2019

Hello, @[deleted] 

Unfortunately you cannot restore a deleted ticket. 

0 votes
Antonio Ferruz
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2019

Hello, 

If you delete a ticket .. is deleted :( .. as described in the image.

The only workaround that I know is related to restore backup .. but I think this is not a good choice for you. 

Find more details in a related topic post : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Retrieve-a-deleted-issue-record/qaq-p/396654

Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 12.55.01.png

0 votes
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2019

The only way of restoring a removed ticket is getting it from your jira backup (implying you have those).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events