Is it really true that a preceding AD prevents the creation of users in JIRA Internal Directory?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2017

The docs on Managing multiple directories describe this sample scenario:

• You have connected two directories: A read/write LDAP directory and the internal directory.
  • The LDAP directory is first in the directory order.
  • All new users will be added to the LDAP directory. It is not possible to add a new user to the internal directory.

If that's true, why can I perform the following actions?

With this directory order:

user-directories.png

I select 'JIRA Internal Directory':

create-new-user.png

And the user is created in JIRA Internal Directory:

users.png

So the question is: Why am I able to create a user in JIRA Internal Directory?

My guess is that the configuration of the LDAP directory might not be read/write, but I am unsure on how to check that, even after having had a quick look at the 'Directory Configuration Summary' page.

Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Hi @Ignacio Pulgar

I believe that document might be using an outdated example.  At one time in older Jira versions I believe this was true.  However in modern Jira Server versions it certainly does appear that you can create new users in the directory of your choice.

As such I have created a ticket for our documentation team to update these pages accordingly.   You can track that progress over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-66520

Thanks for bringing this error to our attention.
Andy

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2017

The ACP-100 prep materials have a video with the same sample scenario and expected answer.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2017

I've voted and started watching JRASERVER-66520. Thanks for having created it, Andy!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

@Ignacio Pulgar I have also notified our Certification team in regards to the certification materials on this topic.   I am sure they will want to investigate this further to understand if this might require an update to the training materials and/or testing aspects.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2017

Awesome!

Looking forward to knowing what answer will be considered to be the correct one in the exam.

Thanks again, Andy!

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 21, 2017

@Andy Heinzer Just to help the Certification Team finding the materials that need to be reviewed:

4th Video: "JIRA Admin Knows Best"
Time 8:02 > Sample question states 'The ability to add new users to the JIRA Internal Directory' will be impacted by changing the LDAP directory to the first position.

12th Video: "Permissions, User Directories, and Workflows"
Time 1:10 > "We also need to know that where users are created depends on the order of the user directories."

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 21, 2017

@Andy Heinzer By the way, I've located some more controversial info in the prep materials. What would it be the best method for sending potential errata to the Certification Team?

Suggest an answer