Is it "JIRA" or "Jira"?

Arnold November 30, 2017

until now (November 2017) I've been writing JIRA "JIRA" - it's how it was historically

I just noticed my Confluence Cloud site auto-corrected "JIRA" to "Jira" - so it made me quickly check the Atlassian site...

....and I can see it's now "Jira"

Does anyone know the backstory?  Was it JIRA and now it's Jira?

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2017

They announced at Summit in September alongside the new logos that Jira is now no longer fully capitalized.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

And all other Atlassian products dropped any CamelCase names. Marketing trends I guess

Arnold November 30, 2017

Thanks Josh and Matt.   Out of interest, any idea why it was all capitals ("JIRA") in the first place? It was named after a japanese godzilla so not an acronym, so why the capitals?

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2017

I don't know. It was from the era of Java or JAVA so maybe that was related. Or the name needed some oopmh - JIRA, JIRA!

Like Elizabeth Ramsey likes this
Kelly Schuknecht January 2, 2018

Hi - We use Confluence Server and it is still auto-correcting "Jira" to "JIRA". We have confirmed that it is not in the browser settings, so it is Confluence somehow doing it. We are on version 6.5.2 so it seems like it should have been updated. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2018

Wait for Atlassian to fix Confluence.  That's the only supported answer I have I'm afraid.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2018

type Jira, it corrects it, then use the Undo (Ctrl-Z for me) shortcut to undo the autocorrect

Like # people like this
Kelly Schuknecht January 4, 2018

Thanks Nic and Matt! I guess I'll just be patient, even though for some reason this drives me bonkers.

Like Oliver Fey likes this
Kyle October 11, 2019

My next-gen Scrum project home is still titled "Project Name - Roadmap - JIRA".

T Chambers October 11, 2019

I interpret the vestiges of JIRA still in Atlassian products to mean the developers are too busy working on higher priority cards in their sprints to fix this.

Like Matt Doar likes this
Dan R May 18, 2022

...So AITA because I like to still call it JIRA when I refer to it because I feel like it gives me street cred?

Like josh likes this
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2022

I still proudly wear my old Charlie logo Atlassian shirts. NTA

Like Dan R likes this

Suggest an answer