Is it possible to use JQL to pull all subtasks based on a parent's value?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2012

I've logged a support issue and tried to view Atlassian documentation (however, /confluence.atlassian.com/ is a 503 error) to answer my question....

I need to pull all subtasks based on a parent issues field value. I actually have the same value on the subtask - but, the JQL results don't include the subtasks. That seems to be another bug if you have a custom field with different field configuration and the JQL is using one of those fields to evaluate. It only applies to parent issues, not subtasks.

So, I have this dilema in that I need all subtasks with this field value and the parent has it. So...does anyone know how I might write JQL to get these?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2012

You cant' use any plugins which support this in onDemand. However, I am not sure why it is not working for you if you have the same value on the subtask as well!

"custom field name" = "value you search for" and issuetype in subtaskIssueTypes()

should fetch you the subtask with that value I guess?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2012

It should work, as you say. I can pull subtasks based on another custom field, but not this custom field. It's not understanding the multiple field configurations for this field and only applies to the parent issue. You also cannot bulk edit this field -- doesn't appear on the screen in either the available or unavailable actions, even though all issues are all using the same field configuration. Consequently, the reason I'm stuck.

Suggest an answer