Is it possible to use Crowd just for authentication

I tried to connect Jira to a Crowd server, but after Jira sync with crowd (~40,000 users and ~5,000 groups) I coud not manage those users.

Jira added a lot of users from CROWD as jira-adminstrators , and a many users as jira-users.

Note: The Crowd is from another location, and I am not admin of this server, but I need to give permission for some users (~100 users) of this location in my Jira.

For while, I added those users as internal Jira users, but they ask me have a unified password.

So,I would like to use this crowd directory just for password authentication, but keep the user managed internaly in Jira, when I can define a proper group for each user.

Is it possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi Flavio, actually it's not possible. The idea of Crowd is to centralize the management of all users, groups and memberships in a single application. Adding the ability of including users from Crowd in a local JIRA group would break this purpose.

Ideally you should require access to Crowd management and modify the group membership directly in Crowd.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

202 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you