Is it possible to unwatch issue's I reported in Jira?

erijkgabriel October 3, 2017

For some issues I created/reported, I don't like to receive e-mails everytime something changes.

*I tried to unname myself as a reporter, but that's not possible (A reporter is required)

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2017

The default notifications are for reporter, assignee and all watchers.

I'd strongly recommend exactly what @Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor] and @Joe Pitt said - get your admins to ask the users what they want, and take the axe to the scheme to get it to be more quiet.

However, to answer the original question, you need to do two things:

1.  Watching is very useful, and I recommend keeping most of the "watcher" notifications (usually the ones about transitions, comments and reassignment, but lose the "issue updated" one as that's the noisy one).  However, Jira adds you as a watcher on every issue you interact with by default (so blanking out yourself as reporter would not have helped you at all).  To stop that, go to your profile and turn off "autowatch"

2.  To clear out the old issues, run a search for "watcher = you".  Then use bulk-edit.  There's an action in there to remove yourself as a watcher.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2017

To build on Christian's comment, the default notification scheme I believe has the reporter updated on everything. In my experience they don't want that. Often they only want 'milestone events' based on issue type. For bugs it could be when it is closed. If you use JIRA for CRs it would probably be for Approved and Implemented.  Suggest the JIRA admin poll the users to see what they want. If everyone else wants everything, but I doubt they will, you'll have to live with it. 

0 votes
erijkgabriel October 5, 2017

Thank you all, I'll have my administrators fix it.

After asking some colleagues how they feel about the number of issue e-mails received, it seems somewhat abundant.

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2017

Hi Erijk,

You should contact your JIRA admin, maybe you dont need reporter in the notification scheme.

Suggest an answer