Is it possible to sync JIRA Software on Cloud, Data Center & Server instances concurrently?

Julie Metior March 28, 2019

We are currently evaluating JIRA and would like to know whether the following is possible:-

Is it possible to sync a cloud instance with a data center instance, as well as a server instance?

If projects are archived on Data Center, will they automatically disappear from the cloud/server instance when they next sync? Or will they have to be manually deleted from the once archived?

How many instances of JIRA are realistically able to sync simultaneously?

Also, if a user is updating an issue on the cloud instance and another user attempts to update the same issue on the data center instance, are they notified that the issue is locked by another user or is there a risk of one or the other overwriting the updates that have been made?

Thanks.

3 answers

3 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2019

Hello Julie,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

There are some plugins which provide you with the functionality to sync multiple JIRA instances.

The answer to your questions will depend on what plugin you decide to use. The one I recommend is the Exalate Jira Issue Sync & more.

Using this plugin, you will be able to sync multiple JIRA instances (Cloud, Server, and Data Center) and the sync panel displayed will make sure that the sync with the other instances was performed properly and not conflicted with changes in other instance.

Projects creation and deletion will be also kept in sync with other instances.

For more specific information about the add-on, you can contact them at their support channel or refer to their documentation:

Exalate documentation

Exalate support portal

Let me know if this information helps.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves,

I'm part of the team behind Backbone Issue Sync and I'm curious about this sentence. I guess it refers to @Julie Metior's question about the archiving of Data Center projects:

Projects creation and deletion will be also kept in sync with other instances.

Is it possible to create and delete projects with Exalate? Or act upon the archiving of a Jira project?

My understanding of Exalate (and also Backbone) is that they can synchronize the issues between certain projects, but will not create or delete projects - mainly due to all the schemes (notification, permission, workflow, etc.) associated with them.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Stefaan Quackels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

Just to clarify, it is possible to configure Exalate to delete/create projects in Jira.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

Thanks for the clarification @Stefaan Quackels - I did not know that. Any doc links I can read more about it? Otherwise, I come by your booth at the Summit next week.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user March 29, 2019

Hi @Julie Metior , nice to have you here :-)

As Petterson already mentioned, this is not possible out-of-the-box, but there are plugins/apps which support your use case. I suggest to take a look at the Atlassian marketplace which sync solutions are available.

I'm part of the team behind the Backbone Issue Sync app, so my answers to your questions only apply to our own app, but as far as I know the other sync apps are doing it in a very similar way.

- It's possible to synchronize Jira Cloud, Jira Server and Jira Data Center. You'll have to install Backbone on all three instances and then connect to each other. We have documented these example use cases to synchronize two Jira Server/Data Center instances and also Jira Server with Jira Cloud. There is no limitation how many instances you want to synchronize, but you have to get a license for each instance.

- At the moment if you archive a project, a synchronization still exists (it might not work properly, because archived projects are read-only) and needs to be stopped/removed manually from the sync configuration. As far as I know, no sync app will automatically remove a whole project from the other instance once it's archived, if this was your question.

- If one user is making a change at the same time as another user, Backbone will choose the last update (i.e. "last update wins"). This is the same behavior as in Jira at the moment if two people are updating e.g. the description of an issue.

Does this answer all of your questions?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Julie Metior April 1, 2019

Hi Sebastian,

That is really useful info and does answer all of my questions.

I'll download the app and take a look at the links you've provided .

Thanks,

Julie

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefaan Quackels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2019

Hi @Julie Metior ,

I'm part of the Exalate team @Petter Gonçalves mentioned. (thank you by the way :) )

Exalate is built with flexibility in mind. We even provide a scripting engine that allows you to customize your sync to almost any use case.

It might be a good idea to show you how Exalate would work for this scenario. Would that be valuable to you? If that's the case, I'd suggest booking a demo here: https://www.idalko.com/exalate-book-demo/

Cheers,
Stefaan

Julie Metior April 1, 2019

That's great, thanks. I'll book in a demo for later this week.

Stefaan Quackels
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2019

Hi @Julie Metior ,

Sounds like a plan :).

In the meantime, feel free to let me know about any questions you might have!

Cheers,
Stefaan

Suggest an answer