Is it possible to submit two packages of my plugin for different Server JIRA versions?

Diego Gonzalez February 16, 2016

I'm trying to submit a package of my JIRA Server plugin to the Atlassian Marketplace.

However we currently have 2 different packages (one for JIRA 6 and one for JIRA 7) which are virtually identical (apart from some API calls), and it won't let me do it because they share the same add-on key. 

Apart from creating a single package compatible with both versions, is there another feasible alternative?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2016

I think you either have to change the plugin key, or upload two versions - the one that works for JIRA 6 as "version 1" and the JIRA 7 version as "version 2".  You can tell the marketplace what versions of JIRA they are valid for, so that users will get the correct one from the UPM

Thanks Nic

I was trying to avoid changing the plugin key, because that would break the migration for existing users using the private version once the plugin is public. 

I did see that you can upload 2 different versions and specify their compatibility, but doesn't that become a bit of a mess going forward with future releases? 

E.g. I would imagine you would have to set two different release "avenues" (as you said, version 1 and version 2) and separately update each one every time there's a new release

Is that the standard practice in the Marketplace? Or is it more desirable to try to have a single package?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2016

It would be a bit of a pain if you think of them as branches.  You'll have a branch for JIRA 6 and a branch for JIRA 7.

However, in this situation, most vendors release a version for 6 and then stop.  As JIRA 7 is out, there will be no more releases of JIRA 6, so there's little need to continue developing the JIRA 6 branch.  You might as well put the effort into the later "version" you've got for 7.

Well if it were up to me I would do away with JIRA 6 altogether already, but unfortunately some companies just completely resist change (occasionally some even keep asking about JIRA 5 compatibility). The problem is that most of our releases are more related to changes of our own, instead of changes related to Atlassian's APIs, so I think I'll have to find a way of creating a single package for now. Thanks a lot for your help!

Suggest an answer