Is it possible to stop sending webhook events for a particular user?

jbartlett86 January 3, 2018

Hi,

Is it possible to stop a webhook triggering if the event was caused by a particular user?

The webhook post contains the user json block so I can do the check in my consuming code however I wondered if perhaps there was a way to avoid it even being sent in the first place.

Thanks,

John

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

I think you can not disable it for a particular user on Jira side. You should do the logic on the receiver side like you wrote.

jbartlett86 January 4, 2018

Hi @Alexey Matveev,

Thank you for confirming I will leave my existing logic as it is :).

Thanks,

John

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi John,

As long as you have access to the JIRA administration console you can disable the Webhook.

• Choose > System. Select Advanced > Webhooks to open the Webhooks page, which shows a list of all existing webhooks.
  • Click Disable or Delete

Cheers,

Branden

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

@somethingblueI guess your solution would disable the webhook for all users not for a particular user.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi Alexey,

From his description it sounded like he may have wanted to disable that one webhook all together:

I wondered if perhaps there was a way to avoid it even being sent in the first place.

The entire webhooks platform would not be disabled, only that one webhook:

1. Log in as a user with the JIRA Administrators global permission.
  2. Choose > System. Select Advanced > Webhooks to open the Webhooks page, which shows a list of all existing webhooks.
  3. Here's a few tips on using this page:
    • Click the summary of the webhook in the left 'Webhooks' column to display the details of the webhook. You can edit, delete and disable it via the details panel.
    • Deleting a webhook removes it permanently. If you just want to prevent it from firing, disable the webhook instead.

Cheers,

Branden

jbartlett86 January 4, 2018

Hi @somethingblue,

Thanks for your response but as @Alexey Matveev says I was looking for a solution that would allow the webhook to only fire on certain user events, not for it to be disabled completely.

Thanks,

John

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2018

Thanks for following up.  I read it as not sending the webhook at all, however, I'm glad Alexey was able to correctly asses what you were trying to do and provide the assistance needed!

Thanks @homoluden!

Sri Maharjan November 26, 2018

Is there a way to disable webhook for only a certain Jira project instead of disabling for all projects?

Suggest an answer