Is it possible to show my Kanban board for Anonymous users?

corgrath December 29, 2015

Heya.

For one of my projects, I have opened it up so "anonymous can browse"

Image1abc.png

So, now anonymous users can visit my cloud instance and browse the project and its issues. Great.

I have also opened up the filter for the board to "Everyone"

Image2.png

But the board tab is still no shown for anonymous users

Image33.png

Apparently, back in 2012, this did work

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6109

Can't boards be visible for Anonymous users anymore? What might I have missed?

17 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew Hunter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 1, 2016

Since the migration to JIRA 7's licensing it's now necessary to have a 'JIRA Software' license in order to access JIRA Boards. As a result anonymous users cannot view Boards any longer. Have a read of https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/cloud_jira+agile_product-changes for more details on the change, specifically there's a table further down that describes the differences between each license/role.

19 votes
Kovah January 26, 2018

@Matthew HunterPlease revisit this decision. Making boards viewable (not editable) to the public makes sense for companies to share information with their customers, and also for open source projects that want to be transparent for anyone.

If I can set projects to be viewable by anonymous users it just makes no sense to limit the view on boards. Or versions. Or any other information. This is the same as if Github would limit access to projects to logged in users only.

Patrick Wittman January 27, 2018

I completely agree, this is a step backward. I have been trying to figure out how to get this working for a couple weeks and referencing old documentation. Finally found this post and I am very disappointed.

My use case is a little different, however, it is the same in principal. I have several Jira Automation triggers that spawn new tasks to document the regular & repeatable items that need to be done for one of my projects. I have setup a Kanban board configured for these tasks so the team responsible for completing them can easily see when new tasks are spawned and move them through the workflow. I have been trying to setup a display on our mission control wall to show the board, however, I do not want to have to leave an authenticated user signed in on that system just so the board is viewable. Nor do I want to have to sign-in again whenever we need to perform maintenance on the mission control wall computers.

As @Kovah said, this "just makes no sense" being that we can configure a project to be viewable by anonymous users. @Matthew Hunter I sincerely hope this is revisited and the license model adjusted to make this feasible. If anything you should be adding functionality to the project management and per-issue management to enable more fine grain control over what is viewable by anonymous users, such as per-version, per-component, and per-issue.

I understand this is part of the product differentiation, however, you should tie that to the creationmodification, and configuration of the Agile boards, not to who can view them. An anonymous user or a Jira Core user should only be able to view the board but not interact with it. This accomplishes the same licensing goal and facilitates what many people who would like a "public" board are trying to accomplish.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Eric Goller October 29, 2016

I would like to seconds Laura Viganders sentiment. The Kanban Board used is one of our main 'at a glance' communication tools towards our main stakeholders  and vital in keeping them engaged in the development progress. This audience neither needs nor wants to be qualified JIRA users and not having the board available is a major step backwards from our perspective.

We as a project would be most grateful if Atlassian would be willing to revisit this decision and would continue to provide us with the tools to engage and embed our broader audience into the ongoing development progress.

3 votes
Bill B. February 18, 2020

+1 - obvious money grab for simple presentation

3 votes
Adoram Rogel July 3, 2019

+1 for this request - really needed!

2 votes
Adam Harm February 26, 2019

We have the same problem - we need to show the Kanban to our stakeholders.  Is there no one to show a read-only view?

2 votes
Riaz Virani June 25, 2018

Yeah, it seems very backward to take AWAY a feature that seems very obvious in an upgrade. We have a dire need for this and may necessitate us finding another solution.

2 votes
Laura Vigander September 30, 2016

We have just upgraded to JIRA v7.2.1 Server version, and see the same problem.  This really sucks. We use our boards to show our customers our progress.  They do not otherwise use JIRA or need access to change or do anything in JIRA, just see what we are up to.

Is this something that will be fixed?  Right now, JIRA is breaking our communication strategy sad

2 votes
Romain Testard September 16, 2016

Hello, Is there still no way to make boards viewable by anonymous users or no plans to implement it?

1 vote
Stefan Mueller October 21, 2019

still a problem?

I created a feature request https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-20295

Go there, comment it and upvote it.

1 vote
Mike Carey July 31, 2019

+1, this makes no sense to me whatsoever. The most useful thing to view for a team is not every issue ever created for them but their board. 

1 vote
Edgar Monzón July 26, 2019

No solutions for this problem? C´mon Atlassian this is necessary for the stakeholders that really don´t do anything with JIRA.

1 vote
Chieh Yu May 8, 2019

same problem here. I think publishing a read-only board to anonymous user without login might be a good idea! 

1 vote
Lis Colls March 9, 2019

same problem here, I tried all different options: set public browse project permissions, kanban board, filters and nothing works. very disappointing 

1 vote
Ryan Bowse January 23, 2018

Has anyone figured out how to make a jira board public? I have something similar to the above. We use Jira for marketing and I want to allow folks at my company to see what is being worked on in a sprint. 

Ideas?

0 votes
Karsten Leick May 15, 2020

The only workaround I found is to use Confluence:

1. Create a section macro with n column macros in it for each board column.
  2. Add and a "Jira Issue/Filter" macro each
  3.  Set a query such as "project = [your key] AND status = "To Do" ORDER BY Rang ASC " for each column.
  4. Display options can be restricted further to only Key and Summary. 

From there you can still link into the issue details, if they are viewable to anyone.

0 votes
Lennart Schlüter August 19, 2019

+1

Suggest an answer