Is it possible to set the max length of the Summary Field in JIRA?

Damon Gaylor February 2, 2012

We are trying to integrate with a product called QA Complete and we are mapping JIRA Summary to their Title. Their default is 100 characters and we don't know if we can increase it. I didnt' see a way to decrease the Summary field length in the admin area.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2012

It's a 254 character string in the database, and the html lets you do that. There's very little reason to reduce that, which is why there's no option in the UI (Over many years, I've seen a couple of dubiously-reasoned requests to increase it, but I think this is the first to reduce it)

If you had your own install, you could impose a simple limit in the .vm that generates the field, but I don't think you're allowed to hack bits of code like that in OnDemand.

Damon Gaylor February 3, 2012

I hear you Nic, thanks for the feedback. It really isn't worth it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2012

It could be on your own Jira install - it's as simple as changing one or two text files, adding *maxlength="100"* to them and restarting Jira. But I don't think OnDemand will let you do that.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2012

As Nic said, you can't modify the files on onDemand. You can probably add a simple Javascript in the description that makes sure the summary does not have more than 100 characters. A workaround worth exploring!

roam_scott
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2017

I know this is old, but this is a terrible response.  Any reason an admin has to reduce the limit is valid.  That's not up to you.

Personally, I have a user that keeps typing multiple sentences in the field, including the resolution (he creates the issues after the fact).  That's not the purpose of the "Summary" field.  I want the summary field to be limited so when I'm browsing through the issue list I can quickly and accurately ascertain the purpose of an issue. I don't want to read a novel.

If you need more details, that's what the details field is for.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer