Is it possible to set "Issue Type" based on "Componenet" or any other custom fied selected?

murali krishna June 30, 2013

My Requirment is as follows:

1. Select Project
  2. Select Component
  3. On selecting component, Issue type should list only "Issue Type A" "Issue TypeB" & "Issue TypeC"

Step 2 can be any field which should allow me to set Issue type based on its selection.

Example:

Field "Component" have XX, YY, ZZ in it.

On selecting XX, Issue Type should populate only Issue Type A & B.

On selecting YY, Issue Type should populate only Issue Type A, C and D.

Let me know if there is any way to implement such option in JIRA.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2013

No. The heirarchy is wrong - it's Project, then Issue, then component, with the component list being determined at a project level.

You could try to restrict options via javascript (i.e. "if issue type A, then do not offer components XX or YY") but that's after they've chosen an issue type.

In fact, you might be better off doing some more analysis on your usage - it sounds like your components could be projects or issue types, rather than components.

0 votes
murali krishna July 1, 2013

@Nic, @Jobin:

Could you please help with some steps to follow and use of javascript?

0 votes
murali krishna June 30, 2013

@Nic,

In a way, what you said is right about componenet could be project and is the same idea I told them.

But stakeholder want to have single project instead of having 4 different projects. Due to this requirement, I am searching for way to link Component with Issue type selections.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2013

It's always worth asking.

But you really are stuck here. Components exist below issue and project, there's nothing to tie them to issue types at all, and the only thing I can think of doing this (without a lot of customising of the core code) is to limit component by issue type using javascript.

There is no choice here - before you can select a component for something, you MUST tell Jira the project and issue type. (Javascript trickery should be able to handle the "create issue type X, only offer components A and B" on the create screens though)

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2013

There is no choice here - before you can select a component for something, you MUST tell Jira the project and issue type.

Actually, you need only the project to select a component. But you are right, the design doesn't seem right and even if you can achive this by custom development, it is worth reconsidering.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2013

You will have to develop custom Create screens for this. Not possible via configurations.

Suggest an answer