Is it possible to set "Issue Type" based on "Componenet" or any other custom fied selected?

My Requirment is as follows:

1. Select Project
  2. Select Component
  3. On selecting component, Issue type should list only "Issue Type A" "Issue TypeB" & "Issue TypeC"

Step 2 can be any field which should allow me to set Issue type based on its selection.

Example:

Field "Component" have XX, YY, ZZ in it.

On selecting XX, Issue Type should populate only Issue Type A & B.

On selecting YY, Issue Type should populate only Issue Type A, C and D.

Let me know if there is any way to implement such option in JIRA.

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

No. The heirarchy is wrong - it's Project, then Issue, then component, with the component list being determined at a project level.

You could try to restrict options via javascript (i.e. "if issue type A, then do not offer components XX or YY") but that's after they've chosen an issue type.

In fact, you might be better off doing some more analysis on your usage - it sounds like your components could be projects or issue types, rather than components.

You will have to develop custom Create screens for this. Not possible via configurations.

@Nic,

In a way, what you said is right about componenet could be project and is the same idea I told them.

But stakeholder want to have single project instead of having 4 different projects. Due to this requirement, I am searching for way to link Component with Issue type selections.

It's always worth asking.

But you really are stuck here. Components exist below issue and project, there's nothing to tie them to issue types at all, and the only thing I can think of doing this (without a lot of customising of the core code) is to limit component by issue type using javascript.

There is no choice here - before you can select a component for something, you MUST tell Jira the project and issue type. (Javascript trickery should be able to handle the "create issue type X, only offer components A and B" on the create screens though)

There is no choice here - before you can select a component for something, you MUST tell Jira the project and issue type.

Actually, you need only the project to select a component. But you are right, the design doesn't seem right and even if you can achive this by custom development, it is worth reconsidering.

@Nic, @Jobin:

Could you please help with some steps to follow and use of javascript?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

121 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you