Is it possible to set approval mappings on fields other than project and issue type?

Daniel Andrew Felipe November 30, 2016

I wanted to introduce a "Client" field which will act as a pivot to tell the plugin what set of business approvers needs to be notified. Currently, I have to have an issue type created per client in which I need to make 6 separate approval mappings per client in accordance to our workflow.

If it was possible to set an approval mapping on a certain field other than project and issue type I would be able to cut the mappings by 4 for every client I need to set up.

2 answers

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2017

Hello Daniel,

In order to setup your configuration on one issue type, instead of three, you can setup three Approval Mappings with Conditional Rules on three transition (one for each client) from/to the same workflow statuses.

The following screenshots illustrate the suggested configuration.

Workflow

image2017-2-9 17:54:57.png

Conditional Rules

"Customer Name" ~ "Client 1"

"Customer Name" ~ "Client 2"

"Customer Name" ~ "Client 3"

Where the Customer Name is a custom field that identifies the customer.

Approval Configuration

image2017-2-9 17:55:21.png

I hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Antonella

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2016

Hello Daniel,

Sorry, I didn't get your point.

Could you clarify the requirement regarding 'to set an approval mapping on a certain field other than project and issue type'?

Could you give me an example?

Sincerely,

Antonella

Daniel Andrew Felipe February 8, 2017

Hello Antonella, 

Sorry for the late reply. 

Let's say I have 3 clients of which our teams work on to support. Said teams total to about 6 (development, qa, operations, etc...). Usually (at least in our scenario), the actual approving people within those teams are the same across clients but not all. Ideally, I would have the following setup:

• Standard/Emergency/Normal request Issue type
    • Client 1 Approvers
      • Client 1 Business team
      • Client 1 Analyst team
      • Development team
      • QA team
      • Ops team
      • Sales team
    • Client 2 Approvers
      • Client 2 Business team
      • Client 2 Analyst team
      • Development team
      • QA team
      • Ops team
      • Sales team
    • Client 3 Approvers
      • Client 3 Business team
      • Client 3 Analyst team
      • Development team
      • QA team
      • Ops team
      • Sales team

As of now, the Approval Mapping Administration UI limits me to project-issue type mappings to configure in these teams. This in turn forces me to make client-specific approvals as well as issue types for the teams even though the people inside those teams are the same. Thus I've made this work for me by doing this:

• Client 1 Issue type
    • Client 1 Approvers
      • Client 1 Business team
      • Client 1 Analyst team
      • Client 1 Development team
      • Client 1 QA team
      • Client 1 Ops team
      • Client 1 Sales team

• Client 2 Issue type
    • Client 2 Approvers
      • Client 2 Business team
      • Client 2 Analyst team
      • Client 2Development team
      • Client 2QA team
      • Client 2 Ops team
      • Client 2 Sales team

• Client 3 Issue type
    • Client 3 Approvers
      • Client 3 Business team
      • Client 3 Analyst team
      • Client 3 Development team
      • Client 3 QA team
      • Client 3 Ops team
      • Client 3 Sales team

(Request type (Standard/Emergency Normal) is a separate custom field here)

This involves a lot of duplication though and it results in a number of issue types and approvals that will be generally unused throughout the JIRA ecosystem

Therefore if there is a way to change an approval mapping from being dependent on a project-issue type combination to lets say a project-custom field combination, I'd be able to achieve the first scenario without much clutter.

Hope this makes this question clearer.

Regards,

Daniel

Suggest an answer