Is it possible to see a greenline in the Burndown chart for completed stories

Julia Jose October 4, 2019

I have configured my board to Estimation statistic as 'Story point' and time tracking is set to "None".

I am expecting to see a greenline in my burndown chart indicating the story which has been completed and a red line to indicate the remaining story points.

Is it possible to achieve this? If so how?

Because currently I am not able to see a greenline in my burndown chart.

3 answers

0 votes
Julia Jose October 8, 2019

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ and @Warren .

Thank you for your responses. I do not have burn-up chart configured in my project, hence my question is pertaining to the Burndown chart.

As Warren pointed out, when I am time timetracking I do get red adn green lines as per the below legend:

timetracking.png

I am expecting something similar for story point, as in the picture below:

expected_legend_storypoints.png

So that the final burndown chart looks like this:-

Expected_graph_burndown_resized.png

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

Hi @Julia Jose

Not how it works unfortunately - the burn-down for story points represents both added work (burns upwards) and completed work (burns downwards) - thus if you completed 5 points and added 5 points, it would be flat line.

Time Spent is a slightly different metric, in that it shows time spent not time completed - i.e the green line could exceed the top of the red, if you spend more time working than anticipated.

Ste

Sharda Gupta September 21, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

How could I get "Remaining story points" in Jira? Could it be achieved without "log work"?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2020

Hi @Sharda Gupta 

Remaining Story Points from a report perspective is visualised...

• Burn-up: Distance between completed (green line) and scope (red line)
  • Burndown: Distance between the remaining scope (red line) and the bottom of the graph (i.e zero = all completed)

Or are you looking for "remaining story points" to be visualised somewhere other than on a report? If so, could you specify where?

Ste

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2019

Hi @Julia Jose 

It may help if you show us what you're seeing.

The burndown when you're tracking time does have a red and a green line

Screenshot_1.jpg

whereas for Story Points

Screenshot_2.jpg

so I'm not sure what you're expecting

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2019

Hi @Julia Jose

Not sure what you mean by two lines on a burndown chart - you might see this on a burn-up though?

These are two different types of report:

• Burndown: Shows completed vs (added) scope on one, single line
  • Burn-up: Two separate lines - one for completed, one for scope

^ The burn-up does have a green line as well. Is this the report you're looking for?

The burn-up is available on Jira Cloud. It's not yet on Jira Server - see JSWSERVER-5513

Ste

Suggest an answer