Is it possible to search JIRA for other listings besides issues?

Zachary Levey September 21, 2011

Simple search or advanced search all result in the same thing, a listing of issues that your criteria meet. Here's an example of what I'd like to do.

Example1:
We've added a custom field called "Scrum Team" to our instance (for ease in reporting). We can have one or more scrum teams working on a project. What I'd like to be able to see is a listing of projects with the associated scrum teams. Just a simple listing report. We can do this easily in TeamTrack (what we're partially moved from) but we can't find the ability to generate reports like this in JIRA. Is this possible? These types of reports are very important for reporting the who and the what outside of our dev team.

Example 2:
We want a listing of all users and groups that are members of a project for all projects. So, the listing will have all projects displayed with a column for projects, a column for admins, and a column for developers. All are baked-in roles/fields, but we'd like to get an idea of who is on what. We're not doing time-tracking, etc. just getting a feel for who is a member of which project.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2011

Hmm. Could you expand on what you mean by "listing of projects with associated scrum teams"?

My best guess is that you want some sort of field at a project level. If so, then you've added "scrum team" to the wrong place, because custom fields in Jira belong to Issues, and not projects (Sadly, there's no implementation of project fields). If I've guessed this correctly, then I'd actually use "category". Set up one category per scrum team, then put each project in the right caregory, and consider removing the scrum team from the issue level.

Zachary Levey September 22, 2011

I've updated the original question with another example. Hope that makes it more clear!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2011

Mmm, that's a totally different question again. I still think categories answer the original question.

For the question of users, I don't think there is anything to answer it. I believe Jira's user management and reporting has been neglected over the last couple of years and is very weak. Whilst it's possible to create a long rant about it, I really don't want to because I completely understand why - if I were Atlassian, I'd have done exactly the same - the instant they picked up Crowd, user maintenance inside separate applications became a burden and a dead end, and all efforts on user maintenance should be focussed on Crowd

I'm afraid that really doesn't answer your question, it's just my feelings on why it can't be answered and why I'm not blaming Atlassian for weaknesses.

If it were me at your site, I think I'd start looking at writing a plugin to provide a report to cover your user membership reporting.

Zachary Levey October 2, 2011

While that's what I was afraid of, it does answer my question. It's just too bad as it's really something that a lot of people in our company expected when they saw "Enterprise" in the title.

Suggest an answer