Is it possible to run a new, separate version of Jira alongside the current one?

Gareth Jenkins January 15, 2020

Hi, 

My organisation's Jira has become seriously bloated over the years with loads of pointless projects, issue types, user groups, etc. However, when going through some of these, especially the user groups, it seems like they have functions or permissions that are still required. 

Also, many of the workflows and projects have become seriously convoluted resulting in my colleagues feeling as if Jira is a hindrance to work rather than an enabler.  

I've begun to delete some of the redundant things that I've found, however, I've reached the conclusion that the best way to get Jira working properly for us again would be to hit the reset button!

However, people are, of course, still using Jira daily. So is there a way to set up another instance of Jira, build that into something that functions for the organisation and then switch people and current projects over to it? 

Thanks in advance!

Gareth

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2020

The license does not allow for you two have two production environments on one license, that said you can certainly create and buy a new license and then migrate things over to that environment. You might have a smaller license for that and then do a lot of work for migrating old projects with few users. 

You should be aware though that migrating project by project is quite time intensive and you are probably going to need a plugin i.e. configuration manager to reduce this time if you have as many projects as what your text suggests. 

Gareth Jenkins January 15, 2020

Thanks Kirster. I thought that might be the case...

If I do go down this route, is there a particular configuration manager you would recommend? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2020

I'd strongly recommend Botron's "Configuration manager" and Adaptavist's "Project Configurator".  They take different approaches, but both allow you to move any and all project configs and data from one Jira to another.

(Obviously, I work for Adaptavist, so of course I'll recommend our option.  But I've worked with both of my recommendations and rate both of them highly)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer