Is it possible to restrict adding/removin to a Sprint

Nigel Farmer July 1, 2013

There are two things that I would like to be able to limit regarding adding/removing items to a sprint.

1) If the Sprint is active (is started) I would like a confirmation dialog to appear before adding/removing the items. The reason for this is when planning the next sprint it is easy to acccidently drag items into the active sprint rather than the next one. These then have to be removed but show up as scope change

2) I would like to restrict who can add/remove items to/from a sprint to ensure that only the "Product Owner can do so and not members of the dev team.

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Nigel Farmer July 24, 2013

Steve - This is what I found too. There is no way to restrict whom can add stories to a sprint, but I think this would be a very useful feature to add.

Adam Roth November 12, 2013

I second this. Would be an extremely useful feature.

Sylvia Benavidez August 23, 2017

Third this.

Josh Young July 26, 2018

Fourth.

Randdy Feliz February 13, 2019

Fiveth

Harneet Singh July 30, 2019

Point # 2 is possible, by grouping the users (in your case, the Product team) and giving only them the Schedule Issues permission.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

0 votes
Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

Nigel - Did this work for you? I have the same problem, however when restricting the scheduling issues permission, it prevented those users from editing the issue too. =(

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2013

Hi Nigel,

Ad 1) I am not sure if is possible to have that kind of dialog box. This may require some JavaScript modification and personally I think that it could be hard to achieve. (especially on OnDemand)

Ad 2) In order to add/remove items user need to have "Scheduled Issues" permission in the project to which the issue belongs. You can only restrict this to Product Owner and only he will be able to do this action.

I hope that will help.

Best Regards,

Mirek

Nigel Farmer July 1, 2013

Regarding 2) to clarify, anyone should be able to add items to the backlog, but only the product owner should be able to add items to a sprint.

The "Scheduled Issues" permission is documented as "Ability to view or edit an issue's due date" which would appear to be something completly different, unless I am missing something.

Adam Roth November 12, 2013

You mean, only the development lead should be able to add tasks to (or remove tasks from) an active sprint.

The product owner's job is to prioritize the backlog (i.e. the stuff that's not in an active sprint yet). Development's job is to work through the backlog in the order provided. Once development starts a sprint, the product owner has no business reordering the stuff that's in the sprint itself, adding new things to it, or taking things out of it.

Really the only time a new task should be added into an active sprint is if all the tasks in the sprint have been completed. When that happens, the development lead should bring in the next task from the top of the backlog.

Like Stefan Reijgwart likes this

Suggest an answer