Is it possible to report on resolution status by creator?

Domini Hogg April 7, 2016

I would like to see how many issues created by particular users end up with a particular resolution. This will enable me to provide feedback to the creators of the issues so that they can improve the way they submit issues. Is there a way to do this in reporting?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2016

I'd create a filter for the issues you are interested in (e.g. "these three projects") and then use it in a dashboard gadget - specifically the "2 dimensional statistics" gadget.

This lets you choose two fields to report on, so you can choose resolution and reporter, and then gives you a grid of the numbers of each combination.  I think that sounds like what you're looking for?

Couple of minor things to think about too

1. resolution or status?  "Resolution status" is not a clear phrase and is meaningless in JIRA-speak as it mentions two unrelated concepts.
  2. It's very rare to create issues that are resolved already - it happens at the end of the issue lifecycle, not when the issue is reported.
  3. Generally, the resoultion is set by the assignee, or at least the person saying "this has been done now", which is not usually the reporter

So, with points 2 and 3, I'm not sure the resolution is something you'd need to be educating your issue reporters about.  Unless they're raising loads of issues that end up with "will not fix because it's silly" or "duplicate" type resolutions.

0 votes
Domini Hogg April 7, 2016

Sorry, I'm completely new to JIRA, so I'm not sure I completely understand your answers. The use case here is that I have account managers reporting feature requests as issues in JIRA. These issues then follow a specific workflow which will provide a series of outcomes e.g. accepted for development, rejected, on hold etc. If a particular account manager is constantly submitting feature requests that get rejected, I will need to speak with them to look at the type of requests they are submitting, because it may be they shouldn't be creating them in the first place. The report I have in mind would show me the number of issues by outcome (probably resolution on JIRA) across each of my team members creating issues (creators in JIRA). I would like to see a comparison across my team members so that I know who is creating the best feature requests and who the least good. Because I am looking for a comparison, I don't think that filtering would be an answer, but maybe I have misunderstood?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2016

I think you're pretty close.

What you've said there covers most of my queries in my response (especially the "one account manager keeps raising issues that we reject"), and says that both Joe and I have given you options for reporting that could well be useful.

The filtering thing is the sticking point to my mind - they're immensely useful for comparing things!  In JIRA, filters are the basis of a lot of reporting.  They return a list of issues that you want to report on, they don't actually do any reporting themselves.  To think about a comparison, you have to start with "compare what?" and the answer to that is "get info about a set of issues, which I can then run comparisons on", or "here are two lists of issues (filters), what is the difference".  In this case, your filter is probably quite simple, as you're probably wanting to look at "all resolved issues in a set of projects" or something like that.

I suggested the 2d filter gadget because it takes one filter, but lets you compare information on all the issues in that filter.  If you use it with reporter and resolution, you'll get a table that looks a bit like:

FixedDuplicateRejected
Alice1612
Bob5184
Chuck12424

That's an immediate comparison that tells you that you need to talk to Bob and Chuck and get them to be more like Alice.  Bob isn't bothering to check if issues have already been raised, and Chuck is raising really bad requests.

The point there is that the gadget does the comparisons, not the filter. 

The other way to do it may well be to have several different filters and report on each separately.  This is also perfectly valid, especially if you report on them by having them on dashboard gadgets right next to each other on a dashboard!

Domini Hogg April 8, 2016

Thanks Nic! That sounds perfect! I only have JIRA software not confluence. Where can I find this 2d statistics filter gadget you mention? Is it possible to pivot this table too?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2016

Not sure why you mention Confluence, this is entirely a JIRA question.

The 2d gadget is a standard JIRA dashboard gadget - got to your dashboard and click "add gadget".   You may need to add a dashboard for yourself if you've not done it already - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/customizing-the-dashboard-185729498.html

Not sure what you mean by "pivot" here - it's a report.  If you need a different report, add another gadget with a different definition (can be very handy to show them side-by-side on a dashboard)

Domini Hogg April 10, 2016

Hi Nic, Thanks so much for your help. I hadn't realised I could find reports as gadgets on the dashboard, so that answered most of my questions. I only mentioned Confluence because when I searched for the 2d gadget JIRA on Google I got primarily Confluence answers.

Thanks to you I have now completed my project and am all set to present it tomorrow as a new workflow for my team. So helpful!

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2016

Just create a filter showing the reporter and resolution

Suggest an answer