Is it possible to reply by email?

Erick Sasse January 7, 2013

I'd like to use JIRA for my customer service via email and I don't want them to login to JIRA.

So what I'm looking for is:

Customer sends an e-mail and an issue gets created in JIRA for my support staff.

Support agent replies to customer from inside the issue and the customer receives the answer by email.

Is it possible?

6 answers

1 vote
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2013

Yes, you can configure incoming mail handler to do exactly that. As soon as emails are received my the mail handler a issue will be generated. Notification scheme will ensure that as soon as the issue gets updated or changes status, emails are sent back to the requestor.

Have a look at this URl on how to set-up an incoming mail handler on jira,

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

You may also wish to look at Jira Issue collector. With this plugin end users do not need to log into Jira but can raise issues from an html page.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+Issue+Collector

Rahul

FGS September 16, 2013

The "issue collector" is really cool!

But I cannot answer back to the issuer (a non-JIRA users) by commenting on the feedback/bug item.

I purposely tried creting an item via "issue collector" using a valid email (a GMail account) that is not associated to a pre-defined user in JIRA. And in my default user is configured to be "user" with email "no-reply@myapp.com". As you can imagine, when I add a comment, the original issuer does not receive anything.

Any idea on how to achieve my goal of replying to suers who are not JIRA users?

Thanks,
FGS

0 votes
Nancy Pool September 13, 2018

I think it is possible by the Gmail users, I have Hotmail account so I  just want to know it is possible for me or not! By the way its very important thing for me.

You actually make it look so easy with your performance but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never comprehend. 

Thanks,
Hotmail Support Number

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 18, 2013

Hi Fernando, you purchase the license after your JIRA users not after your non-JIRA users.

E.g.

If you have up to 10 JIRA users but 500 non-JIRA users, you pay 10 USD.

If you have 500 JIRA users but 10 non-JIRA users, you pay 400 USD.

Tibor

MOBAUTO Support March 15, 2014

Hi Tibor - I can't find the EMAIL THIS ISSUE in the marketplace. Is it still available? I'm currently on a Jira evaluation license. And this sounds like exactly what I need. Thoughts?

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 16, 2014

Hi,

Email This Issue is in the marketplace.

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Tibor

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2013

If that doesnt quite do what you want JEMH is a decidcated message handler for JIRA, in addition to supporting non-JIRA users, it also enables automated routing of email based on various rules like sender or addressee emails.

0 votes
FGS September 17, 2013
Thanks, I will
0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
September 17, 2013

Hi Fernando,

our plugin Email This Issue can be easily configured to notify non-JIRA users upon issue events, including Issue Commented.

I recommend you read through our docs or contact us in email for details.

Regards,

Tibor

FGS September 18, 2013

Just to confirm, "email this issue" is a paid feature, meaning that if I have 500 non-JIRA users I need a licence for 500 users, right?

Suggest an answer