Is it possible to remove fields from a jira field configuration ?

l August 11, 2014

Field Configuration contains loads of custom fields that are not applicable to all projects.Is there a possibility to remove fields from those projects fields configurations?

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2014

The whole point of a field configuration is to allow you to show/hide all the possible fields. So no, you actually need them all there. Even if you've used field context to remove fields from projects, you still need them in the field configurations, in case you decide to re-include them.

l August 11, 2014

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the update.This means that there is no option to remove fields from a field configuraion?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2014

Er, I already said you can't.

Like Deleted user likes this
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2014
I already managed to remove a custom field from a Field Configuration scheme, but the better solution is to hide it, otherwise you could loose Information, moving issues to other projects, wehre the field is absolutely not there. I will check, how I have deleted some fields in a field configuration.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2014

I'd strongly recommend that you don't do this. Removing a field from a field config scheme requires hacking core code, which is unsupported, an upgrade nightmare and a lot of work for no real gain.

Like Никита Зыков likes this
Jegan Ganesan December 2, 2015

when i try to remove am getting a worning says that "Delete Custom Field: XYZ Confirm that you want to delete this custom field. Note: Deleting a custom field removes all matching values from all issues." is it possible to remove a duplicate field which is available in custom field without loosing the matching value?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2015

No. Because the field contains the data. That's a bit like asking "can I remove the bottle from this bottle of water and keep all the water?" Where does the water go? You no longer have a container for it. If you want to keep it, you have to put it somewhere else. Use bulk-edit to place a copy of the data in the other field that you're keeping, then you can delete the duplicate.

Like Mark Collins likes this
S KHADHAR MOHAIDEEN August 28, 2017

But this is not good i think. I have just 2 fields in a screen but i get error which says some fields are mandatory.. but if I want to make them non-mandatory, i need to do the changes for all the 100s of fields where i am just using 2 fields from my screen.. -- a FC should be for the specific screen that i use. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2017

Field configurations are for issues, not screens. 

I agree with you - I don't like them either, their functions should be distributed out into other places in my opinion

0 votes
Priya Yadav December 12, 2018

Hello , 

I am trying to put below default fields in the Request but actually default field is affecting all other Request's. Can someone help me out to find out how i can make Default field only for that particular Request. 

Default Field.PNG

The above field hidden somewhere in other Request Type even though i have not select them from backend and is showing when Jira ticket is creating. 

S KHADHAR MOHAIDEEN October 6, 2020

You can check this in the "Field configutaion" of this issue type, which might be shared with another issue in same/other project.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer