Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is it possible to reference a machine in Active Directory within an issue?

I am currently working to migrate my team's project management workflow from Excel to Jira. During my research for this move, I have run into one major roadblock. The projects assigned to my team usually involve receiving a list of affected machines identified by hostname. We then populate rows in an Excel sheet to create "issues." 

The problem I have is as follows: when using Excel, we have a "Master List" sheet within our workbook that associates machine hostnames with their owner's data (i.e. full name, email address, unique user ID). When we receive a list of affected devices, we create a new sheet within the workbook, then populate the rows using the hostnames and a series of VLOOKUPs to the "Master List." The final product is a sheet with one "Issue" per row, which we then use to contact users, install/uninstall software, etc.

We usually have the following columns in our worksheets:

• Hostname
  • User Full Name
  • User ID
  • User Email
  • Company
  • Issue Status (i.e. "not assigned," "on hold," "completed")
  • Assigned Tech
  • Notes
  • ServiceNow Ticket Number

As part of migrating to Jira, I would like to find a way to reference these machines in AD from within Jira issues with a custom field or something similar. The best solution I've come up with so far is to add a custom field text input that stores the hostname, but this still requires an intermediate step of opening dsa.msc, initiating a search, and copy/pasting the hostname into the search field.

All the research/Googling I do returns results about synchronizing Users between Jira and AD, but not information about referencing machines that are active within AD from a Jira issue. Is there a solution for this problem I'm missing?

For reference, my organization is using Jira Software Cloud and Team Managed Projects.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events